Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2006, 04:22 PM

Looking for recommendations on which excursions to take in these 2 ports. There are 4 of us going on Royal Carribean in two weeks.

We have agreed we do not want to take a 7 or 8 hour excursion, do not want anything too strenuous & would like to see local shops, etc.

Obviously we have never been there!
Old 09-02-2006, 12:29 PM

We have been to Cozumel twice. We rented a VW for a week on the first trip and drove around the island. If you go south out of the city, you will see the most gorgeous blue water that you can imagine. I have been to a number of Caribbean islands and Cozumel is the most gorgeous water (IMO). My teenager swam in the water at the southern tip, (across from Bob Marley's place) which was pretty choppy both times that we were there. Chakanaab was excellent for snorkeling. You can see a huge variety of different plant and sea life right off the beach.
Please know that if you get into a motorized vehicle accident (this includes scooters), Mexican law states that you must be taken to jail (before any investigation). It makes no difference if anyone else was involved or any damage was done. We rented 4 scooters from a local company and my brother-in-law was unfortunate enough to get the faulty scooter. He and my sister-in-law were thrown off their scooter when the wheel started to shimmy about halfway through our trip around the island. We asked for a phone to call a cab to take my sister back to the ship who was quite bruised and banged. No one was seriously injured (thank God), but as soon as the locals heard the word ACCIDENT, all hell broke loose. We had 3 different government officials respond. The Police threatened to take my brother-in-law to jail and the most frighteningly old and dirty ambulance tried to get my sister-in-law to go to the hospital. We also had a couple of Tourism officials come to "assist." After we paid the 3 sets of "government officials" a $20 bribe, they drove away and left us without offering to call a cab for my sister-in-law, which is all we wanted to start with. The moral of this amazing story is....if Royal Caribbean prints a travel warning (Do not rent scooters from locals) heed the warning. They probably know a bit more than we do.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:12 PM

WOW... sunandbeach... thanks for the warning. We're going to be in Costa Maya in November, and I assume the same "arresting" facts are true there. Will make me think twice about renting any kind of motorized device!! Thanks!!
Old 09-05-2006, 10:39 AM

Eeek, yes, I wouldn't strongly recommend against scooter rentals.

You might want to check this Cozumel tours and news site for excursion ideas. Click on 'We now offer tour bookings'.

There is also a short article with Tips for Driving in Cozumel for anyone renting a vehicle.

Ian
Old 09-05-2006, 12:27 PM

Xel-ha is great for watersports as well. Excellent snorkeling, beautiful water. Tulhum ruins are extremely interesting and right on the ocean, absolutely beautiful. Have a great time!
Old 09-08-2006, 07:01 PM

Haven't been to Costa Maya yet but will be going in December. We've been to Cozumel twice and both times we took the jeep off-road adventure and snorkel excursion offered by the cruiseline. Had enormous fun, great guides and was well worth the price (IMO). We drove our own jeep (or rather my husband did) and lunch was prepared and waiting on the beach for us. And still had time for shopping - all in one day! Good Luck

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 09-12-2006, 05:55 AM

Bayoulady...for the jeep off road excursion did they bring you to any ruins? My husband would really like to see Mayan ruins but I would rather not take the 7 hour tour to playa del carmen. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:44 AM

Weve been to Cozumel once and went to a beach resort and snorkeled, and now we're hooked!! We tried to go back to Cozumel the next year but because of the hurricanes we went to Costa Maya. We did a jeep adventure that goes to the beach and they served a BBQ lunch there. The jeep ride was ok, nothing like what we do here in Colorado. The food was gross and my three kids wouldn't eat.(It was small pieces of chicken and beef with potatoes and onions, and tortillas) And you couldn't swim unless you brought swim shoes because there was so much weedy moss stuff. They have a shopping village right by the pier that was ok until one of the guys working there tried to get my 10 year old daughter to give her sail and sail card in trade of a dress. We decided then it was time to go back to the ship. This is a newer port so I'm sure it will get better!!
Old 09-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Try either of these site for detailed information on excursions ...

Costa Maya
http://www.homestead.com/cajunzydeco/files/zydecocruise....shore.costamaya.htm

Cozumel
http://www.homestead.com/cajunzydeco/files/zydecocruise...06.shore.cozumel.htm
Old 09-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Banned

whoever said Chakanaab had great beach snorkeling hasn't been there lately... please see my post with Chakanaab in the title.

wise2u

Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, beach, caribbean, costa, cruise, jeep, maya, port, resort, review, reviews, road, royal, tour, travel, warnings