Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2006, 07:55 PM

Has anyone rented a car in Miami for a day? There will be 10 of us getting to the airport and we are wanting to rent a car for Saturday and then we would return it on Sunday before leaving for our cruise. Does anyone know if you can return it to the port or do you have to take it back to the airport? Also do you know where we can rent a car big enough for all of us to fit in one car? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:01 PM

Charley, try Dollar Rent-a-car. . .I know that they have a rental location at the port. In addition, you can rent at one location and return to another without paying a penalty.

We are flying from Nashville to Ft. Myers to see our son a few days before our cruise. We're driving from Ft. Myers to Miami and are to return the car to the port the day of the cruise. There is NO extra charge to do this.

I think Budget also has a rental location at the pier, but they indicated charging us a couple of hundred dollars to return the car to that location instead of to the renting location. They might not do that since you're renting and returning to the same basic city.

Re: size. . .Most rental agencies have full-size vans. I took 10 kids on a trip out west a few years ago, and we rented a van. Make sure you indicate that you don't want a mini-van. I think that the most you can get in one of those is 8.

Good luck.

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 06-06-2006, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the information. I will look into that because that would be really helpful if we could return it to the port.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:38 AM

We are thinking about renting a car in Miami also - to go down to South beach for the day. Is this a easy drive or should I just get a cab and not worry about it.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:27 AM

Hey DSR,

This is Billy and I live in South Fla and I can tell you South Beach is very hard to get around. There are actually (2) parts of South Beach; Lincoln Drive or Ocean Drive. Depending on where you stay in Miami, I would see if your hotel has some kind of shuttle service that can take you around town for a small fee. A taxi would be too expensive in my opinion. Also factor in if you have to take your car back to the airport before the cruise, you've got a headache waiting to happen.
In other posts, I've mentioned driving in Miami sucks. It really does. The port of Miami is East, off the beach, and if you have to take the car back to the airport, you would be going back west approx 10miles at least, drop it off , then get back to the port. Also, driving in South Beach is a nightmare. I am not trying to discourage you at all, just trying to save you headaches.
To be honest, I was not aware of car rentals in Miami's port. That's how often I go there, and I'm only 40-minutes away. LOL. I hope I was able to help. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Billy
Old 06-08-2006, 07:31 AM

i agree. I also live in florida. Traffic is bad! You will have to take the car back to the airport as they will not let you drop the car off at the port. The only place I rent is enterprise which has vans, but yu must reserve in advance.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the great review. I just love this website -

My daughter (15) and I are going on a Cruise August 20 - 27 with Carnival. We are spending Augst 27th in Miami - My sister and her son are coming down that day. We are trying to see some of Miami and South beach. (Any Advice would be great)- August 28 - September 1 we are going on Royal Caribbean. (My sister first cruise -she will only do four days)

We are still looking for a Hotel - Maybe Holiday Inn and Courtyard. I would like something close to port.

Any advice would be more then welcome.
Thanks Doris
Old 06-08-2006, 11:28 AM

Hey Doris,
Both hotels are great as far as location goes. They Holiday Inn may cost less than Marriott.Which Carnival ship are you on??

Things to do in Miami:
-Coconut Grove
-Ocean Drive (S. Beach)
-Lincoln Drive (S. Beach)
-Vizcaya

All are very nice, especially Vizcaya. South Beach can be very expensive in certain areas. Depends on which celebrity happens to be out and about. LOL!!
If you are going to be near the beach on Ocean Drive, BEWARE. Certain parts are topless. Since you are bringing your daughter (15), I thought I would warn you.

Takce care,
Billy
Old 06-08-2006, 06:16 PM

If you rent a car from dollar-rent-a-car once you drop your luggage off at the port you take the car back to the place where you rented it from then they will shuttle you back to the port free of charge. We are looking at renting a durango for saturday and it's only $66 for 24hrs.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:16 PM

Someone mentioned that you cannot return cars to the Port of Miami. Yes, you can. I have a reservation with Dollar, and you can return the car to POM. You may not be able to do it with all car rental agencies, but you can do it with Dollar.

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Closed Thread

Tags
car, caribbean, cars, cruise, drop, ft, miami, myers, port, ports, rent, rental, renting, return, royal, stay, taking