Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2007, 08:12 AM

Ok so I read achive posts on this subject , but my question wasn't answered so here we go. I understand that shopping right at the port is expensive because of the convience to the ship and them taking advantage. What I want to know is how far from the port do you need to go to find resonable prices on gold, gems and hammock chairs? Can you walk or do you need to take a taxi? We are traveling there in Oct.

Paradisus Resorts
Old 07-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Banned

Hello mrsfascinating. My advise would be to do your homework ahead of time. Since gemstones pricing can vary greatly due to cut, clarity, color, you need to be able to know what you are looking at. What may appear to be a great deal, may in fact be an inferior piece of jewelry. Same with gold or silver. Look for the .995 stamp for silver or the 14k stamp for gold.

Distance from the ship won't help you if you don't have an understanding of quality and value. All the shopowners know when ships are at the dock.

This probably was not the answer you were looking for. Maybe someone else has a shop to point you to.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Banned

Carl's right. Be very careful what you purchase. If the cruise line doesn't recommend the business, you will be out of luck if you get home and find out you were had. Especially if you spend a lot of money. It happens quite often.

We always purchase our hammock chairs on the main drag in Cozumel. You shouldn't pay more than $20.

It's a very easy walk(at least for our family). If you feel it's too far to walk once you're there, taxi's are always at the ready.

Keep in mind, silver, coral, turquoise and such are plentiful in Cozumel. The majority of silver production is done in Taxco, Mexico, so, you'll be able to get great prices here. Make sure to barter on everything in Cozumel.

I did not see a lot of gems or gold being sold by street vendors and merchants. You'll find most of that at places like Diamond's International. Check the price on gold, per gram, before you leave home to make sure you're getting a fair price. Sometimes, these types of purchases are best made at home.

A'ndrea
Old 07-23-2007, 03:46 PM

Yep, I have to agree with Carl and A'ndrea. ( I even remembered the apostrophe) Cozumel is definitely a city to implement the "caveat emptor" philosophy. Cozumel sells more silver, tanzanite, and cubic zirconia that just about any city in Mexico. When it comes to baskets, vanilla extract, etc. etc. feel free to shop around and negotiate a fair price. If you are going to make an investment in a piece of jewelry, buy it from a company recommended by the cruise line. It takes the monkey off your back when you have it appraised back home and find out to your horror that it's worth less than 50 cents.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Banned

Types of diacritic
accent marks (thus called because the acute, the grave and the circumflex accent indicate different types of pitch accents, in the polytonic orthography of Greek)
( ´ ) acute accent, ?árka, or kreska

Thanks dr. My Mother will be so pleased. She hated when friends would call me Ann-drea. Drove her nuts. My name is pronounced On-dray-ah.

A'ndrea

Closed Thread

Tags
accent, baskets, cozumel, extract, majesty, mark, port, progresso, reviews, seas, shopping, vanilla