Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Those rifles are also calibrated with radar detectors attached below the muzzle.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:15 PM

I wonder how many local taxi drivers had to pay the fine. Their driving scares me sometimes.

I hope they get this violence under control. I love Cozumel and don't want it spreading there.

Dwayne
Old 03-22-2009, 02:07 AM
Me too, Dwayne. Cozumel is my favorite port of call.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:00 AM

Cozumel is nowhere near my favorite port of call. It, however, is a necessary evil port of call if you take any western Caribbean itinerary. It would be a shame to the local economy if anything hampered cruise dockings. We, the cruise enthusiasts, have a symbiotic relationship with Cozumel. They provide us with entertainment and relaxation and we provide them with money. It's a win/win situation for both parties and I hope that it is not compromised by the actions of a few.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:30 AM

I always feel uncomfortable in Jamaica with their automatic weapons slung over their shoulders as well; I guess in those countries it a necessity.

The shakedowns can happen most anywhere !

Be Safe - know where you are and where not to be is important.

Peter1

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator

I was stationed in the Philippines when it was under martial law with the Marcos regime. It was interesting to say the least. Midnight to 5am curfew out in the ville, roving "PCs" (Philippine Constabulary) with M-16s, etc. I got rolled by a street cop for several hundred pisos (that is how it is spelled) in a scam he had set up with a bar. He took my military ID and said I could have it back for the money. At the time, anyone who lost their ID got restricted to the base for a month. It was also not healthy to complain about the local cops. I paid the extortion. It was around $50 but that was a lot for a Marine in 1976.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:15 PM

A few years ago a friend of ours took a group of college students into Mexico on a building project over J-term. One of the kids tragically killed a mexican national (car vs. pedestrian). They locked him up and threw away the key. They would not let him out until a frequently fluctuating amount was paid to compensate "the family" for the loss of the breadwinner. This was a not for profit group and had no insurance or funds for such an eventuality and I believe the young man's family had to do the payoff by wire transfer.

I do not choose to drive when I am a guest in these ports of call. Perhaps I am overly cautious about that one issue, but I do not wish to be pulled over, much less detained, and I have a deep seated desire not to be shaken down by the roadside for any cash I might be carrying.
2004 Navigator of Seas
2005 Explorer of Seas
2006 Mariner of Seas
2007 Navigator of Seas
Old 03-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I do not choose to drive when I am a guest in these ports of call.
That's me too. Besides the hazards of the crazy traffic in some ports the liability is a huge factor. Not to single out Alfred, but I can buy a lot of taxi rides on Cozumel for $200.

When I was stationed in Japan in the 70's even riding in a taxi had it's risks. We were told if our taxi ever got in an accident, "get out and run from the scene as fast as you can". It seems that the passengers had a legal liability for any damages since "the taxi wouldn't have been there if you didn't hire it". In Japan everyone who has a driver license was considered a professional and could be liable for the equivalent of professional negligence. Happily, since this meant getting a license was quite challenging there were very few accidents. However we only had to have a valid American license and take a quick test to get a military license that was valid out in town. The only redeeming part was when I had to drive out in town I was in a "Six By" (or Deuce and a half for the Army types). A big truck. The locals gave us wide berth. I probably could have crunched several of those tiny cars at once without realizing it.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:33 PM

Thanks for all your replies. I have been out of town for work, so this if the first chance I've had to check replies. I did not think there would be violence in these areas because their economy is based on tourism. We have friends going with us on this trip and they were told not to get off the ship under any circumstances. I just wanted to give them a little reassurance.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:23 AM

We just returned from a cruise stopping in Acapulco (Big city), Zihuatanejo/Ixtapaa (Small cities) and Manzanillo (medium city) with no problems. You will see the military everywhere but we had a great time nonetheless.
2002-Carnival Ecstasy-Baja Mexico
2003-RCCL Soverieign of the Seas-Bahamas
2004-RCCL Legend of the Seas-Mexican Riviera
2005-Carnival Paradise-Baja Mexico
2006-Disney Magic-Caribbean
2007-Carnival Elation-Baja Mexico
2009-Carnival Spirit-Mexican Riviera South
2010-Carnival Paradise-Baja Mexico
2012-Carnival Splendor-Mexican Riviera
2013-Carnival Miracle-Alaskan Inside Passage

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cozumel, cruise, industry, map, mexican, mexico, planning, ports, problems, progreso, progresso, reviews, trouble, troubles, violence