Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 04:46 AM
OK...question #2 about excursions and one I haven't seen addressed: Zip lining in Roatan doing the Pirates of the Caribbean Extreme Canopy tour (I'm guessing that's the name of the company also?). Has anyone ever used them? And of course, if you have, how was your experience? Now...I'm pretty sure this is the port where the woman died last year when the zip line malfunctioned and cruise lines have stopped offering this excursion for now. Do I really worry about it happening again? Not really, but of course it will be in the back of my mind. So, any suggestions are greatly welcomed and any alternative companies that might offer this tour would also be helpful.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:17 AM

when we were there in sept the zip line was still down.
this is just my opinion.
we saw where the zip line was during our taxi tour. it looked a bit ricketty....
I am afraid of heights so i would not do it anyway but...you are not in kansas anymore.
they do not have national standards, safety checks or inspections, and its all about grabbing the tourist dollars. I know people have done it and had a great time, but I think I would do a zip line with a guide or a tour company that people have done. Like Reggies, I have never done a tour with him but people seem to have a great time with his tours and feel very safe.
do your research before you choose.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:16 AM
tx macmom. And THAT is exactly my problem: I haven't heard anything on this forum about zip lining here. Anything I find on the net could easily be "doctored" by the companies advertising online. So I am hoping that someone has something for me on here.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:42 AM

Hi Keith,
I have to agree with macmom111 on this one. Roatan is a poor country, however, I know they will be creating tourist attractions. For something like a zip line or wave runners or ATV rentals, I'd stick with a ship's excursion until their economy picks up. Usually, not always, a ship's excursion has checked out the vendor. I know the lady that was killed in Belize was on a ship's cave tubing excursion, but normally the ship's excursions are safer. I know there are many that will disagree with me, but if I've not been to an island before, I take a ship's excursion. Once I've been there and see whether I feel comfortable with the local attractions, then I might book on my own. Grand Cayman, Cozumel, St. Thomas, and many other islands that have had ship traffic for years are pretty safe to go out on your own. My only caviat would be Jamaica. I'd venture on my own with a group only there, and then it wouldn't be to any place but a well known tourist area. Although safety cannot be guaranteed anywhere, I tend to lean towards the cautious. Even though I love adventure, I want to continue cruising as much as my pocketbook will allow I know a zip line would be awesome there, but maybe check it out this trip. Then you have a good excuse to go back
Old 11-12-2008, 08:32 AM
hmmmmm. Now I'm wondering if this is what we really want to do. Thank for the input. Anyone have anything GOOD to say about zip lining? What about zip lining in Cozumel? Any opinions on doing it there?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 AM

Cozumel would be a safer option. Roatan is a great port, didn't mean to sound like it wasn't. The snorkeling there was fantastic. You could always get a cab and check it out in Roatan, I just don't think I'd do it there.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:08 AM
no no. Thank you very much for the opinions. EXACTLY the input I was looking for. We have decided to forgo that excursion, especially after reading about the civil unrest in the country right now. Apparently, cruise ships were skipping the Island completely for a couple of weeks and Carnival has stopped docking there until the end of the year...at least. Last week some began docking again. What we have read online anyways...whether true or not, I don't know. Better to be safe than sorry!!! We'll skip any excursions there this time.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:23 AM

There have been a lot of positive posts about Tabayana Beach in Roatan. We didn't go there, we did a catamaran snorkel trip. But you might want to check out Tabayana. I think the unrest has died down now. The cruise line will not put any passengers in harms way. So, if Carnival didn't stop there for a couple of weeks, the locals learned. No ships, no gringo's money, not good for pocketbook, be happy.

Closed Thread

Tags
cozumel, cruise, die, extreme, killed, line, lining, passengers, people, reviews, roatan, rotan, woman, zip, ziplining