Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   St. Thomas and St. Maarten shore excursions (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/30356-st-thomas-st-maarten-shore-excursions.html)

kwtraveler 10-24-2010 01:52 PM

We're cruising to both ports on the Oasis in March, 2011, and wondering about which shore excursions to take. Has anyone been on the Sapphire Beach & Island Drive tour, Black Beard's Castle or Magen Bay tours? If so, which is preferred or better? Which has the better beach? Also considering the Zipline treetop tour at Loterie Farm in St. Maarten; we're adventurous, and would rather zipline than walk ropes. Has anyone been there and how is it? Thanks.

poormom 10-24-2010 03:42 PM

I was in St. Thomas in August and did the bones Turtle cove and Water Island excursion. It was amazing!We had a beautiful sail to Christmas Island where we saw dozens of huge turtles in the cove. We then sailed to Water Island where they had a buffet prepared for us right on the beach. We spent a few lazy hours just relaxing and swimming. And once the snorkeling was done it was open bar with painkillers, beer and soft drinks. It took the entire day and was a nice change from the crazy hustle and traffic and pushy sales people on shore!
We've been to St. Thomas many times and it's just so crowded now!

Wheels87 10-25-2010 04:07 AM

kwtraveler,

Sounds like a great trip you have booked. Personally, I have been to Magen's Bay and it is quite beautiful, however, I would definitely recommend taking the ferry over to St. John's and going to Trunk Bay beach. It is truly one of the most beautiful places on the planet and has an awesome underwater snorkeling trail. You can rent the snorkeling equipment right there at the beach for (I think) $5, but don't quote me on the price.

There are several ways to get there, including booking the trip through Royal Caribbean (it is called the St. Johns beach and snorkel tour), or you can simply take the ferry from St. Thomas to St. John's and have more time at the beach. It really is not difficult to get there.

Either way, good luck and have a wonderful vacation.

Brad

penny3333 10-28-2010 09:05 AM

Of the two excursions you listed, I'd vote for Sapphire Beach, as the beach is truly beautiful. Magen's Bay is nice, too, but can be very crowded. I agree with Brad, Trunk Bay is the best. Can't help you on the zip line, I'm too acrophobic. The last excursion we did in St. Maarten was the Tiki Hut snorkel and we truly enjoyed that. The snorkeling was pretty good for St. Maarten. The crew running the excursion were great. They'd either drop you back at the shopping area or back at the ship, and when you wanted to, not on a particular schedule.