Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 06:10 PM

My wife and I would like to take our third cruise and see different ports of call. Our choices of destinations require us to start our cruise in San Juan, Puerto Rico. My question is: Does starting in San Juan drastically change the country of origin of the cruisers? Will we be the only, one of the few, .... American/English speaking cruisers? It sucks being monolingual.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:10 PM

My wife and I would like to take our third cruise and see different ports of call. Our choices of destinations require us to start our cruise in San Juan, Puerto Rico. My question is: Does starting in San Juan drastically change the country of origin of the cruisers? Will we be the only, one of the few, .... American/English speaking cruisers? It sucks being monolingual.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:18 PM

Welcome to Cruise Chat. I don't think you have to worry about that. There'll be plenty of English speaking people.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:07 AM

quote:
My question is: Does starting in San Juan drastically change the country of origin of the cruisers?

There will be more Spanish speaking guests for the obvious reason. I don't think it would be drastic though. You'll have plenty of English speaking people to talk with.

Dwayne
Old 06-03-2009, 06:37 AM

Hi samofnewton, welcome to Cruise-Chat. I think you will find as many Brittains, Canadians, Germans, French, Italians, etc., out of San Juan as any of the other ports of embarkation. The locals in Puerto Rico do speak Spanish, but there are many, many, many English speaking people and companies there. In fact, a number of US corporations like being located there, they get taxed less than in the mainland

Hope y'all have a fantastic cruise. The southern itinerary is one of my favorites! Best wishes, and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Being that Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and it's people are U.S. citizens, both Spanish and English are official languages and English is taught in public schools and colleges.

On the cruise ships English is the primary language although announcements will also be made in Spanish. It is common to have a large number of Spanish-speaking guests on cruises from San Juan, simply because they are the most convenient cruises for Puerto Ricans and the cruise lines will often cut prices for the locals to fill the ships. But there will be plenty of English being used too.

Perhaps our friend in Puerto Rico, Casanova Frankenstein, will check in on this topic.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Sorry I did not see this before...

Well here is the deal as you can see from this post here many people in Puerto Rico understand english
Actually we have a little problem in this subject you usually ask "do you speak english?" and we say no because the translation from spanish have other meaning.
Most people on the island can uderstand what you are saying without any problem but most of them don't really know how to express it in english so we usually answer it in spanish. thats tricky but that's Puerto Rico...

As for your trip on the cruise or in port you will not have any problem most of the ports of call including PR will have english talking persons in order to aid your stay, during your cruise you will have a lot of english talking people also since our tourist industry mostly depends on USA so most of our tourist come from there... you will not have any problem with the language thats what I am saying
enjoy your cruise

Closed Thread

Tags
call, carnival, cruise, cruises, departures, embarkation, juan, locals, origin, port, prices, puerto, rico, san, spanish, speaking