Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 06:40 PM

We are traveling for a week on Freedom in late September to Labadee - Ocho Rios - Grand Cayman - Cozumel

I have done little research and figured word of mouth is the best!! Which excursions would you do again? What should I make sure to NOT miss?

In Labadee should I do the excursion that takes you to the Castaway beach? Or is it kind of like a private island anyway?

Has anyone done the Canapoy Tour in Ocho Rios?

Thank you so much in advance!!!

Caribbean Dive Lodges
Old 03-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Banned

Well word of mouth is really good, but sometimes you need to decide what you want to do and make arrangements from there. I know that sometimes when I do what others have done I do not find that I have a lot fun. So please take what suggestions you get and decide what is right for you.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:15 PM

We need to know your ages (or how active you think you are), what sounds like fun to you, do you like to get wet? climb? ride horses? snorkel? shop? how much time do you want to spend in transit?

A few of our favorites are swimming with dolphins at Cozumel-book directly and your group will be smaller than the ships, and you will have your leisure to explore the park. Also horseback riding in Ocho through an organization called Hooves. We liked river tubing in Ocho also. Your ship will be the only one at Labadee on the day you go there (at least it has been that way in the past) but figure most people will go ashore for at least awhile. We haven't found it to be crowded, there are several beach areas, but I am sure other people felt differently. We booked waverunners and had a great time with that on Labadee. It is one of my favorite ports. There is a calm bay where you can try out snorkeling, but you will see much more marine life on Cayman--snorkeling on Labadee is not as good by any stretch. Everyone will tell you Dunns River Falls is not to be missed. I live in Minnesota which is a Great Lakes State and see cool waterfalls now and then--I guess Dunns River was not my favorite, but we did enjoy it and are glad we saw it once.

We always snorkel and go to Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman. Every time. We never tire of it. The groups from the ship will be 150+ people. Book this on your own. Captain Marvins, Captain Ron, whatever.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-28-2007, 07:18 PM

Excursion I would not do again: Tulum ruins. It is fabulous. The beach there is fabulous. It is on the mainland so required a ferry to the mainland (45 to 50 minutes), a vigorous walk to where the bus was parked, a bus trip (45-60 minutes)--about 2 hours in the park, and reverse the process. It took a whole day and was very tiring. Will save this adventure for a mainland vacation/stop. it is so worth seeing, but not on a one day stop at Cozumel.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-30-2007, 05:19 PM

It will be my husband & I we are in our mid 20's. We are looking for fun/relaxing things to do. We don't really want to have to deal with a lot of transporting to and from. We want things that are more geared toward adults.

We went on Soverign of the Seas last year and did no excursions - - we would get off the boat and would be bored..... nothing to do just wonder around. I would like to do some shopping??? Which port is best for that??

We will be going to: Labadee, Ocho Rios, George Town & Cozumel!!

We are ultimatly looking for things to make this vacation a memorable and romantic vaca.

No horse riding though - we did that once and the horse fell - on top of me!! No more horses!!

Caribbean Dive Lodges
Old 04-06-2007, 10:53 AM

I've done this same intinerary on the RC Mariner of the Seas. It's a fantasitic time. I agree with a previous poster about Tulum, we thought it was amazing. The scenery and the beach being the best part. My wife and I usually like beach excursions and snorkeling, but this was great. We did a half day there and the other half at a water park called Xel-Ha. I think it was a bit hectic though, since the trip back and fourth was long. Thinking about it now, it would be hard to say which I enjoyed better. I certainly would not want to have missed Tulum. The beach scenery there was surreal, (it was raining when we were there and it was still fantastic) I think a full day excurion at Xel-Ha would have been great. We visited Cozumel again on another cruise on 1/06 just after the hurricane. We went to the Passion Island excursion. It was a dissapointment. On Grand Cayman, if you're the beach type, I'd go to Rum Point. Everyone goes to 7 mile beach, which is usually overcrowded. Rum Point is gorgeous! In Jamaica I'd stay on the boat or just walk down from the ship to Margaritaville for a few drinks. I might do the Dunns River Falls because it was alot of fun, but don't bring your camera, it's too much trouble since you may have to walk up the falls with it. I hear you can rent a locker, but then what's the point of bringing it? I hear there is a beach there too. You may want to do the falls on your own though, cheaper. Last time we went to Ocho Rios we went rafting down the Martha Brea, another dissapointment, very boring. At Labadee we did do the Malafini Beach thing. It was very nice, very quiet and pretty, but I have to tell you that I highly reccommend the jet skis if you like that type of thing. I did that twice, once each visit, and I thought it was fantastic. If you do this, volunteer to be the first one front of the pack when you go out. There won't be problems with slow people ahead of you and you'll get to let 'er rip!- much more thrilling. One of the guides will lead a row of 10 jet skis. It's more fun to be out front, I've been near the back and #1 and #1 was so much more fun. (I'm not usually into thrill rides, loop coasters and such, but this was both exillerating and beautiful. You get to ride along the coast line and they will go by the Malafini Beach, so if you don't go there, at least you'll get to see it. The last time we went to Labadee we the jet skis then went to the quieter beach (which is free) to the far left. We walked around and found the blow hole, which was pretty cool. The first visit to Labadee, a few years back, we did Malafini first then came back for the jet skis. We didn't get a chance to explore the other(free) areas and I was surprised on the last visit how nice the other free areas were. Because we had done two excursions there, it didn't leave us time to explore the rest. Malafini was very nice and quiet. They serve alcohol from the beach (cash bar) when you get there and they lend you some chairs. You can snorkel (didn't find many fish) off to the left of the beach. I think that the free quiet beach just as nice really, but not neary as secluded. Malafini was not really in my top 10 of the Caribbean beaches that I've seen. It was nice, but not that nice.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribinean, cocay, excursion, excursions, freadom, freedom, jet, labadee, og, rci, review, reviews, seas, shore, ski, western