Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2007, 07:55 PM

Hi all, I am trying to decide what to do in Progresso. Are the beaches worth going to or are you better off going to the all-inclusive resort? I did the resort several years ago but wanted something different. A swimming beach that has food and drinks would be ideal. Any suggestions or stick with the resort? Also, any ideas on where to get some good authentic mexican food and a good margarita? Thanks for your help.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Banned

Have you looked into the shore excursions offered to cruiseline passengers and anyone else visiting Progreso. It appears that people who do not spend their entire stay at Chichen Itza Ruins go for day trips to nearby inland Merida for shopping and restaurants. Progreso has a lot of restaurants on the main promenade, Calle 19. Tourists hang out there because there really isn't a lot to do there. Excursions offered include trips to Merida, Chichen Itza, and beach excursions where you may find one that interests you. Check this out.
There is a resort, Reef Club Beach Resort, which you can get to by different forms of transportation. You can book an excursion, or go on your own. It is on the link I provided. Click on "Full Details" to the right of the synopsis for photos and details of the excursion. There is also the Corono Beach Party if you're more interested in a big party and beach activities. Scroll through the list. It think you will find something favorable.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:48 AM

We did the Corona Beach Break when we had the no choice method of visiting Progreso. The drinks that come with the break are watered and the Corona beer is min. alchol. Daughter participated in some of the beach games they do for entertainment that included tequlia shots and she said that they were not potent at all. There is a restrauant there at the beach that provides a discount if you are on the beach break. We didn't eat there, but the food did smell good. The town is very poor and the flea market there they are pretty agressive.
We also went to Progresso when we did our 5 day out of Galveston in Feb this year and did the Merida town tour with the rodeo. That was OK, but where they took us shopping was awful. Prices were sky high and they didn't want to bargain, lunch was included in the rodeo and I really didn't care for it at all.
We didn't do any shopping in downtown Progreso, but some fellow cruisers did in the shops that face the beach and they said it was pretty good. Sorry, we just went back to the ship and ate so can't advise on restraurants in town.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:16 AM

Thanks for the info on Corona Beach. Maybe the resort is the better deal I suppose. I have already seen the ruins. One time is plenty!!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:51 AM

Actually, the young adults in our group did the Progreso Resort Deluxe Beach Break ... I wanted them safe if they were going to be drinking ... they said the food was good and the drinks plenty strong! There were 3 of them in the 24-28 age group.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:05 PM

I did the resort last time and it was a blast. We even had karaoke on the bus ride back to the ship. Im sure the bus driver was ready for all the crazy drunks to leave. We had his microphone singing Grease songs!

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, beaches, break, carona, club, corona, excursion, party, port, progreso, progresso, resort, review, reviews, stink