Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 07:15 AM

My husband would like to go deep sea fishing in St. Thomas and the rest of us, wife and two adult children like the beach. I know there is a marina called Sapphire beach marina but would hate to get too seperated from him as we would like to tour the island together. I was wondering how close these were together. Do you have to preplan a tour with a guide or are they all over and is there time to do both a maybe go to trunk bay on st John. First time cruiser just tryin to figure things out ahead of time. Also, would it be easier to rent a car or is the island hard to drive on.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:23 AM

We went to Sapphire beach last October, there was a marina on the back side of the beach. I would assume it's the same marina. It was a couple of blocks walk from the beach area. Sapphire beach is lovely, however, there are a lot of small rocks when trying to enter the water. The north end of the beach has the fewest rocks. The day we were there, the wind was really whipping, so the snorkeling wasn't very good. Driving on St. Thomas isn't that bad, but the traffic is horrendous. If you really do want the perfect beach, Trunk Bay on St. John is totally awesome. There is a beach snorkel about 50 yards from shore, it is a self-guided tour. There is shade available, lockers, a place to rent snorkeling equipment, a snack bar, beautiful white sand, crystal clear warm water (unless there's a storm), fresh water showers, and a couple of shops (shop in St. Thomas). Trunk Bay is one of the top 10 beaches in the world. The ferry leaves for St. John from Red Hook every hour, it's about a 20 minute ride. The ferry schedule from Charolette Amalie is not as often, but you eliminate the cab fare/ride to Red Hook. If you're going to Sapphire Beach, Red Hook is close by, so you could catch a ferry over and back. I would suggest not leaving St. Thomas later than 1 to give yourself time to get over/back/and enjoy Trunk Bay (if you're leaving at 5). Be sure to give yourself enough time to get back to the ship. Depending on how many ships are in port, the traffic can be ridiculous and SLOW. We usually don't book a tour in St. Thomas, but we've been there many times. Hope this helps some.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the great information. I been heard that Trunk Bay is the place to go from many websites. I am definitely leaning towards that
but would still like to tour the island being I haven't been there. I would like to go to mountain top. I hope I will have enough time to do both. Thanks for your resonose
Old 02-06-2007, 09:20 AM

There never seems to be enough time at any port, so do what you really want to do the first time. That way you have a reason to book another cruise Best wishes!

Closed Thread

Tags
bar, beach, cruise, distance, dock, ferry, hook, lockers, port, red, resonose, sapphire, ship, showers, tiki