Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2006, 10:23 AM

We were in Montego Bay 1/25/06. We booked tour thru the ship and I'm really glad we did. I didn't enjoy this port at all. At least our tour took us to a secured area for shopping. Then my sister and I went by taxi to what we were told was another secured area not far from Margaritaville. We went in 3 shops - right next to each other- and we left back to the ship! It was kinda scary. However, the rum cakes were cheaper here than in any of the other ports. Also the drug soliciting is accurate, but JUST SAY NO! and keep walking. Same with the agressiveness, sometimes they listen, and most times NOT. That is why we just left.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:33 PM

I agree with tom, if you want to save money than catching a taxi to Doctor Caves beach would be a great alternative, it is gated and safe, there are restrooms, showers, lifeguards and a place to by food and refreshments, the snorkeling is great. After your done playing in the sun you can walk right up the street (about 2 blocks with plenty of shops on the way) to Margaritaville for your choice of 52 different flavors of margaritas, music, waterslide, hot tub, water trampoline and pretty good food and admission is free. When the taxi drops you off at the beach just tell him to pick you up at Margaritaville, i have been the Montego Bay 4 times with my teenage girls and we always plan this same route.
Both the beach and Margaritaville are very family friendly.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:37 PM

I just contacted Sunset and if you are a cruise passenger, the price remains $40 for adults and $20 for Children, all day, water park, food, drinks, entertainment.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:42 PM

Re the Margaretaville and Doctors Beach choice instead of Sunset, could we pull that off with a group of 6 ranging from 3, 8 - 60+? What is the cost of the taxi and entrance to beach?
Old 02-23-2006, 06:10 PM

I thik we payed a van driver $12ea. and the admission to doctor coves beach was i think about $2.60ea. (could have been less)
Margaritaville is free and YES, all ages will have fun! the kids love the waterslide and water trampoline. it is quit loud downstairs because that is where the JD is but if you go upstairs there is a nice covered open air area with another bar, this is where the take off point to the waterslide is the spa is also up there, we always sit up there because it is a great place to keep an eye on the kids.
beach to Margaritaville is about a 5 minute easy walk (unless you stop to look in the shops like we do)
the last time i was in Montego Bay was last august but the prices should be about the same.
hope you have fun!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:16 PM

Thanks Jennie. I did tell the rep. that we were arriving by cruise ship, even the hours the ship was in port!! Appreciate the information.

Closed Thread

Tags
bay, beach, doctorcaves, hudlin, jamacia, montego, recent, resort, reviews, shopping, sunset, tours, trevor