Well I already cruise in the past in the Carnival Destiny and will be cruising again during this July; I am also from Puerto Rico. So here are a few pointers from me and some friends from PR
• Is better to book directly from carnival if there is any trouble or change in itinerary they will refund you the money or make the necessary arrangements.
• Arrive early all people come at 2:30 pm. Is what said in the tickets, but you can check in before and avoid the long lines. I discover this too late and arrive at 2:30pm sharp in my last trip with them, ok it didn’t take long but the terminal was hot!!! And also you get a full day to enjoy before anyone…
• Puerto Rico: arrive early so you can visit “El Morro” and “El Viejo San Juan” is not far from the ship, you can walk thru them or can get a taxi tour and is not expensive, the Bacardi is also a good place to go.
• San Thomas: You have to visit St. Johns, especially if you want to swim and enjoy a day at the beach, you can get the transfer boat near the port a few steps from the ship and is not expensive, forget about Coral world, it not be worth the money… I am planning to go to the black beard tour, I love Pirates so is a good option but I booked directly using carnival.
• Dominica: Is not much to see here maybe the waterfall or the dolphin tour, last time I did not book any tour here just went to the “mall” outside in the port, buy a few things, really a bargain opportunity!!! A lot of things and a good price!!!
• Barbados: Island tour is the best, if you don’t want to booked it thru carnival just go to the mall in the port, outside there are a few tour guides and you can even book this same tour for just a few $$$, but I booked thru carnival last time so don’t know how much is it…
• Get SUNBLOCK and EXCEDRIN, buy one of those Camel Bag packs, Is hot here and for some reason this summer has been one of those that you can fried an EGG in the street…
Well that’s all for now