Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2006, 11:03 PM
I have never been to the island of St. Martin/Maarten.

That will change in November, when I will take an Eastern Caribbean cruise there. And since I know that the island is shared by the Dutch and French. I was wondering if it would help any to learn their language before I go. I already purchased a couple of books with audio CD on how to speak Dutch and French. I was wondering if that is unecessary. I was wondering if anyone encountered a situation with a language barier while in St. Martin/Maarten?
Old 08-25-2006, 11:14 PM

I've been there several times and everyone I talked to spoke english. Besides, I don't think you're going to learn Dutch or French from a audio CD by November. Even if if would be in November of 07. At least I could never learn from a CD.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:59 AM

I have found that no matter where I have traveled throughout the world English is usually understood. Some places better than others, but when it comes to you spending your money they understand English quite well. In many countries English is a second language and their schools teach it. I recently returned from a cruise that went to all the Scandanavia countries, Russia, and Estonia. We had no problem in any of the countries. The Caribbean is the #1 crusing destination, not to mention all the land vacationers staying in resorts. There isn't any island in the Caribean that doesn't speak English. You don't have to exchange money either, the dollar is widely accepted.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:37 AM

We've been to St. Maarten quite a few times and never had any trouble finding someone to speak english. However, if you are really interested in learning the languages, why not. I speak a little French and can read it pretty well, what I found was that it is their own dialect of French and not what we are taught in school. Still, I could understand most of what was said. Since I have a slight southern accent, it's fun watching their faces when I reply to what was said in French. They think they're not being understood by a hick, it's fun to watch Have a wonderful cruise!
Old 09-30-2006, 05:40 PM

It seems everyone speaks english in St. Martin on both sides, been there several times.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, english, french, language, learn, martin, reviews, st, study