Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 11:39 PM

Ok, we are looking to book our cruise but will be traveling with a child in a wheelchair. Which ports have tenders vs docks. I just want to make sure that I have made all my "pre arrangements" prio to leaving. We are considering bringing a larger umbrella type stroller if needed. He dosen't like the idea, but if that's what it takes to get him off the boat, then I want to be prepared. Any help is appriciated.
Thanks - Cheryl
-Nassau
-St Thomas
-St Marteen
-Montego Bay
-Grand Cayman
-Cozumel
Old 01-29-2007, 05:01 AM

Hey Cheryl

From when I have been at a few of these ports, here is what I remember - Nassau has a dock, St. Thomas has a dock, Grand Cayman has a tender and Cozumel has a dock (which I am pretty sure has been re-opened after the hurricane, someone can verify). Have a great time!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Nassau, St Maarten, St Thomas and Cozumel have docks. The cozumel dock is in operation after the hurricane. The issue with Cozumel that some of the days have a lot of ship calls so some need to tender while others can dock. What cruise line/ship are you going with and what weekday would you be in Cozumel?

I'm not sure with Montego Bay, but I think there's tendering there along with Grand Cayman.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:28 AM

I just returned from Cozumel on Costa. There were about 8 or 9 ships in port that day. The dock holds 2 ships; Carnival had the dock, the rest of us were tendered.

And yes, Grand Cayman was tendered.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:57 AM

cherylk6309 - The Carnival Glory does an Eastern Caribbean that has ports in Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. None of those ports are tender. Just went on that cruise last September However, St. Maarten has a water taxi that can get you to the busy area very quickly. You can also just take a cab to the area you want.
Hope this helps!

St. Maarten Hotels & Resorts

2003 Carnival Victory - Western
2004 Carnival Celebration
2005 Carnival Glory - Western
2006 Carnival Glory - Eastern
2007 Carnival Liberty - Western
2008 Star Princess - Alaska
Old 02-01-2007, 12:35 PM

Carnival owns the docks at Cozumel. When space is tight, as it is since Hurricane Wilma, they and other P & O ships get priority. Have traveled to Cayman and other tender ports with wheelchair users--if the person is not too heavy have seen tender personnel grab the chair and lift it on and off with occupant! The people seemed to get a more stable transfer than we "able bodied" who were trying to navigate rampways as they crashed up and down with the motion of the moving tender. Laurie O.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Old 02-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Administrator

My understanding is that Carnival owns Puerta Maya but not the other docks, although they can use the other docks. Read this.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:40 PM

A big Thank You to all that replied! We have chosen our "Ports of Call" as
Nassau, St Thomas & St Marteen.
It sounds as though I won't have to worry about the Tenders anymore. We are all looking forward to our vacation!
Thanks again! Cheryl

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, cruise, cruises, docked, docks, eastern, port, ports, princess, st, tender, tendered, thomas, versus