Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 09:49 PM

I'm looking into excursions for Costa Maya, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios for my Carnival cruise in Feb 08.
I see a lot of people raving about Stingray City for an encounter(in shallow water) and it's definitely something I want to do but in my excursion research, I find there is a Stingray City in both Grand Cayman and in Ocho Rios. Which of the two is better?
Thanks in advance!
Old 03-16-2007, 03:33 AM

I can only speak for the one in Grand Cayman, and tell you that it was an amazing experience. I also like the water and beach area much more in Grand Cayman than in Jamaica. Just make sure that you are booking the shallow (sand-bar) and not the 12-15 foot of water excursion.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:56 AM
Banned

Princess8... I, as well, can only speak for Grand Cayman. Our family of 4 booked on-line through Carnival before we left home. It is one of the most memorable adventures we have ever experienced as a family. We took a short (10 minute) bus ride to our dock. There you will board a "party" style boat. The snorkeling equipment is included. Although, we always bring our own. You will enjoy a ride out into open waters, approx. 15-20 minutes. You will be able to stand in the water where the boat drops anchor. It's surreal. My oldest daughter (15 then) was petrified. Our youngest (11 then) had a blast. The stingrays will rub up against your legs. The excursion guides, who have names for all of them by their markings, will lift them up and rub them up on your back for a backrub (photo ops). You will get to feed them. After Stingray City, the boat will head back a little bit and you will be in deeper water where you can snorkel the reefs. That lasts for approx. 30 minutes. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this excursion. We can't wait to go back. G. Cayman is one of our favorite destinations. In Ochos Rios, Jamaica.... Dunns River Falls is something everyone should experience once in their lifetime. It is magnificent! Bring a waterproof camera for both spots. Have a great cruise!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:21 AM
We went to Stingray City at Grand Cayman, but we booked it when we arrived on shore. It was 1/2 the price. It also included 1/2hr of snorkeling at the nearby reef.

Need some cruise help?
Old 03-16-2007, 06:26 AM
Banned

We too, have done the Cayman excursion, and we echo the raves of the previous posters. A truly great experience.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:27 AM
Banned

And by the way, Princess8, let me be the first to welcome you to the cruise chat...
Old 03-16-2007, 09:40 AM

We did the one in Grand Cayman, it was great. In Ocho Rios, we did Dunn's River Falls-that was great as well. In Cozumel we did a swim with the dolphins pre-hurricane that was awesome. We've also done Xel-ha and Tulum. Xel-ha is a great place for snorkeling and water sports. When we did the ruins in Tulum, you could climb everything, it was amazing. Plus the setting is beautiful. Have a wonderful cruise!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:33 AM

We did the swim with the sting ray thing but booked when we got off the boat...there was a man on the pier, quite "Salty lookiing"..and he was great!! he was missing a finger or two(makes you wonder??) but we had a blast..it was truly a religious experience..really amazing..and half the price..
Old 03-16-2007, 10:35 AM

oh. in regard to the previous post it was on Grand Cayman..we have also done the Dunn River Falls "hike" in Jamaica..it was great too!! remember to bring water shoes for this adventure..
Old 03-17-2007, 08:36 PM
I agree, Stingray City in Grand Cayman was well worth it.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......

Closed Thread