Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 06:36 AM

We are going to progreso as one of our ports in March. This must not be a very good spot as I can't find anything positive about it. Please let me know if there's something out there.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:15 AM

Hi T-Top, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Just to let you know, I deleted your duplicate post. If you will use your Find feature, upper left hand corner above your post and type in Progresso,it will pull up 53 posts about the port. Hopefully, this will give you some ideas. Best wishes for a wonderful cruise, and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:26 AM

Thanks, I read those last night and they are such old posts. I hoped someone had been there more recently. Most are from 2006 and before.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:14 AM

Hi T-Top,
I have been looking for the same thing, and not much out there except the idea that maybe shopping for souviners is a little cheaper. We don't want to spend all day riding around "looking" and decided to go to Dzibichiltun ruins, which takes about a 4 hour venture. Want to save the beach day for Cozumel...very beautiful. So, if you find out anything more helpful, I will hope to see someone's reply as well...we go in April '08.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:16 PM

Hello,
We just came back from a Carnival cruise to Cozumel and Progreso. Cozumel was beautiful! Great choice for making that a beach day. We signed up through Carnival to do cave snorkeling in Progreso. We rode a bus through the town of Progreso and it definitely did not look like there was a lot to see! Maybe some shops? There is a beach area but it did not look as nice as Cozumel. The cave snorkeling was great. We went to a very rural part of Mexico. The caves were awesome. The water is so clear. We saw little fish when we were snorkeling, too. The caves are these holes in the ground that open up into a cavern - really cool. We were glad we did this. I would recommend doing a cruise excursion on your Progreso day! I heard the ruins were neat too from other passengers. I think most things require a longer bus ride, but we just used that time to relax and observe Mexico. Have a great time!
Old 02-05-2008, 08:46 PM

Thanks! Was the water cold and was it dark? It sounds different!
Quote:
Originally posted by susonka:
Hello,
We just came back from a Carnival cruise to Cozumel and Progreso. Cozumel was beautiful! Great choice for making that a beach day. We signed up through Carnival to do cave snorkeling in Progreso. We rode a bus through the town of Progreso and it definitely did not look like there was a lot to see! Maybe some shops? There is a beach area but it did not look as nice as Cozumel. The cave snorkeling was great. We went to a very rural part of Mexico. The caves were awesome. The water is so clear. We saw little fish when we were snorkeling, too. The caves are these holes in the ground that open up into a cavern - really cool. We were glad we did this. I would recommend doing a cruise excursion on your Progreso day! I heard the ruins were neat too from other passengers. I think most things require a longer bus ride, but we just used that time to relax and observe Mexico. Have a great time!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:22 PM

Hello,

I had the same questions myself. The water is not cold at all. I am not a good snorkeler so it is also great because the water is not salt water so its not so bad when you accidently swallow a bunch! It is mineral water. The caves are not too dark. You can see pretty well. Since it is a hole in the ground that opens into a cavern sunlight gets into the cave area from the top. It is so cool. There are also big tree roots that hang down in spots. We really enjoyed cave snorkeling!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:07 AM

We did Chichen Itza out of Progresso and my family considers it the highlight of our cruise. The folks we sat with at dinner did some tour of the town and were very disappointed. Chichen Itza was aweinspiring and the tour guide was great. Nice airconditioned buses, a stop for potty break and shopping--the prices beat everything we saw on the rest of the cruise--should have bought more there. Great day. Cozumel prices were higher.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cave, cruise, excursions, january, mexico, mx, progesso, progreso, progresosnorkeling, progresso, snorkel, snorkeling, tour, tours