Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2005, 09:27 PM

First time cruiser here (Valor)about to go to St. Thomas and St. Martin...(I'd love to hear your honest feedback on skipping a Carnival excursion and simply taking a taxi to Coki Beach (St. Thomas) for the day. We have our own snorkel gear...is the beach as good as some say? Anything else close to there we should see and experience?
Rhamilton
Old 09-24-2005, 03:14 AM
we used this fellow on recommendation of toni who we met on this board, and we became friends on ship, she lives in canada and us in nj. we went to Coki beach I was not impressed very small to crowded and they wanted 15.00 for snorking equip for the 2 hours we were there, godfrey was great I would maybe try one of the other beaches tho he takes you on complete tour of st thomas and he drops you off so you can shop for a hour and then takes you to the beach and comes pick you you up at a set time to get you back to the ship all for 20.00, very likable fellow very gracious, oh and when you shop don't touch thier goods they are very rude if you pick up t shirts to open to look at, at some of the vending tables they yell at you. his e mail is below and you pay him at the time of the tour, I would highly reccommend him as other s charge 40.00 and up, its a nice full day

Posted March 16, 2005 08:00 AM
I highly recommend Godfrey's tour. He will pick you up at the ship at either 9:00, 10:00 or 11:00 (your choice)take you downtown for shopping, then do a two hour tour of the island. You then choose a beach (Maggens, Coki or Saphire) to go to for two hours if you wish or he will bring you back to the ship.

All of this for $20.

Here's his website which includes his email address.

http://www.godfreytoursvi.com

We have gone on his tour twice.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:32 PM

Coki is a great beach to Snorkel and Coral World aquarium is also located there which is deffinatly worth seeing. If you like snokeling the best snorkeling is out at Buck Island. I would recommend the Castaway Barefoot Sail and Snorkel to you. It was fabulous experience and there was even a shipwreck there to see. It was the highlight of my cruise.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:20 PM

If you are serious snorkelers, here's another vote for Buck Island. Coki Beach is relatively small and gets very crowded.
Shelley
Old 09-25-2005, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the thoughts...is Buck Island an excursion or can we get there on our own and spend less? We're trying to find ways to save a little cash and be independant at the same time.
RHamilton
Old 09-26-2005, 02:30 AM

If is your first time to St.Thomas I would try to at least see Megan's Bay, not much for snorkeling, but truly beautiful. Or head to downtown waterfront or Red-Hook for a ferry to St. John. Then go to Trunk Bay, it is an underwater snorkeling trail complete with lifeguard paid by the U.S. as this is a U.S. National Park. Make sure to take a picture of the famous view from top of the mountain looking down over the bay..Have a great cruise!
Old 09-26-2005, 09:05 AM

For a beautiful beach, I would suggest Maggen's Bay and for snorkling I would suggest Buck Island.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:57 AM

Buck Island is about a 45 min sail from the Cruise Ship Dock and is only accessible via a tour. The Castaway Barefoot Sail and Snorkel tour was awsome and the crew very professional. Snorkel equpment is provided and there are complementry drinks and punch available on the return trip. It may cost a bit more money then a taxi to magen's bay or coki but the snorkeling and experience is 100 times better.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:29 PM

We went to Coki because we were kinda low on money. It is a beautiful beach but I do agree that it is pretty crowded. The buildings also leave a lot to be desired. But, if you don't have much money and just need a place to snorkel, it's a good beach.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:51 PM

Like you, I went to the internet to find recommendations on where to visit while in St. Thomas. I read that it was a small island, and the taxi's go around the island all day, so getting a ride is very easy. Due to that, this was the first time I went out on an island without a booked ship excursion.

Due to the reviews I read, I wanted to visit Coki Beach, Megans Bay and Sapphire Beach. We easily got a taxi and went to our first stop, Sapphire Beach. We didn't go any further. This was a beautiful beach! I read that the snorkeling was best on the sides by the rocks. The reviews were correct. There was a beach restaurant, right where the taxi left us off. While visiting the beach, we talked to a man who vacations there yearly. He recommended that we go to the restaurant next to where we were left off. The food and the view was great.

I love cruising, however this is the first beach I've come across that makes me consider just flying to and staying at Sapphire beach for a week or two.

kj

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, beachor, coki, cruise, dock, excursion, forum, fourm, magens, own, restaurant, sapphire, ships, shore, snorleling