Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2006, 06:34 AM

My hubby and I are going to be in St. Thomas via Mariner of the seas. We really want to go to Trunk Bay and snorkel. My question would be how long is the travel time if we do the excrsion on our own? We will have our two children with us and do not want to tire them out before we even get there. They are 11 and 7. The 7yo is not the best of swimmers, but we are working on her skills and will have her and the rest of us life vests, wich leads into my second question. Does the beach shop rent life vests for snorkeling? We have our own snorkeling equipment, but are missing the vests.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:14 AM

Trunk Bay is a very beautiful beach. The travel time is about 15 minutes from the cruise port and costs $6 per person each way and you must pay a fee to get onto the beach. You cross over the center of the island and have a wonderful view back down at the cruise ships. I do not remember there being a place to rent snorkeling equipment as we brought our own. Hopefully another poster can help you with that information
Old 06-15-2006, 09:55 AM

There is a place to rent snorkel equipment on trunk bay, it wasn't too expensive, but I cannot remember the exact prices. The beach is beautiful, you will have to take a taxi from where they dock the ferry to Trunk Bay, the cab fare was $4.50/pp. (this is round trip, if you catch the same driver for your return trip). There are fresh water showers, a snack bar, lockers, a couple of shops (not cheap), and a self-guided snorkel tour. Be sure to bring your camera, the drivers usually stop a couple of time for some great photo ops. Have a wonderful cruise!
Old 06-15-2006, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the info. I was under the assumption that is was about an hour each way in traveling. Wow what a relief. Another question if you do not mind, are the waters rough or calm? easy for first time snorkelers. My husband and I have been a few times, but our children have never been. They will only have one day experience in cocoa cay prior to the port of st Thomas.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:10 AM

The waters are not rough at all. It's like swimming in a pool. We just got back from the Caribbean Princess and went on a shore excursion to St. John. The ferry picked us up right off the ship and it was a 35 min ferry from St. Thomas.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am now more excited than ever. I saw a show on the discovery chanel about Trunk bay specificaly and am dying to get there.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:27 AM

The one thing people tend to forget is that Trunk Bay is part of a US National Park (donated by one of the Rockerfellers) that encompases much of St. John, and is operated by the National Park Service complete with Rangers. The people you see in the water, in boats, are Rangers and are there to protect the environment and you.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:22 PM

i just got back from st thomas/st john, we ported in st thomas,got a taxi to red hook so we could catch the ferry ride to st john, the trip took apx 1hr an 15 mins both ways.
it takes about 25 mins to get to red hook then you have to catch the ferry to st john. the ferry runs on a 1/2 hour schdule and cost $6.00 per person, then you must catch a taxi to trunk bay this takes about 20 mins. you had better allow at least 1 1/2 hour travel time from port of st thomas to trunk bay.
please dont let this stop you from going it is one of the best beaches in the world. if this is to long of a trip for you then go to megans bay on st thomas. have a great trip
Old 06-30-2006, 06:42 AM

ddenton,
Thanks for the reply. How long were you in Trunk Bay? Was there food and shopping near the bay ? My other question that I had forgotten to ask is how deep is the water on the snorkeling trail? Is the trail shallow enough to stand or does it go into deep water at times? The only snorkeling that I have ever done is in deep water. This being my childrens first time snorkeling I would feel more comfortable with them in shallow water. They are 7 and 11 and the younger is not to fond of deep water.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:54 AM

We were there last November, they had a ferry that ran right to Charolette Amalie which was in walking distance to the pier. The first time, they made us go to Red Hook, I just figured it was for the cab fare. They may not be running the ferry from downtown anymore, but it was a lot more convenient. The water is probably 20-30 feet deep out near the snorkel trail, but it is an easy swim out. If your youngest doesn't want to go out, there are a few fish near the beach. The water is so clear, it doesn't look deep at all, so maybe it will not bother him/her too much. It is well worth the trip, even if you have to go to Red Hook. There is a small mall in Red Hook where you can get something to eat or drink while waiting for the ferry. If they're still running from downtown, it's about a 20 minute walk from the ship. Make sure to bring your camera, you'll want to take some pictures. I have one as my wallpaper on my pc at work. Best wishes!!

Closed Thread

Tags
amalie, bay, bother, charlotte, cruise, ferry, john, johns, labadee, long, malafini, ports, ship, st, thomas, trunk