Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 05:03 PM

Are the good shops relatively close together? It is difficult for me to walk for a long time and I know my travel companion ( my sister ) is a shopaholic. Are there stops along the shopping district to sit and have a drink? Our trip is at the end of May and am curious about the average temp on the islands at this time of year. Thanks for the info
Old 04-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Most cruise ships moor at Havensight, which is a little ways from the downtown area. The neat thing about Havensight is that virtually all of the "good" shops you will find downtown also have stores at Havensight. Former warehouses at Havensight have long been used as essentially an open-air mall of stores. They are easy to walk around and go to, and there are several places to sit, eat, drink. We really don't go to Charlotte Amalie proper anymore. We do our shopping right at the pier (aka Havensight). These stores have the same stuff and prices as those you find downtown, so why fight the crowds and traffic?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:45 PM

Yes, as Dave noted there is plenty of shopping at Havensight Mall. I have to give Boolchand's a good recommendation. They always try to match prices from downtown. The Havensight Pharmacy is at the front of the complex (near the road) and is a nice place to get a cold bottle of water or soft drink. I always give them a visit for items I may have forgotten to bring, and a local paper.

If you decide to go shopping downtown, one of my favorite places to rest and get an ice tea, or other libation is The Green House. It is an open air type lunch place during the day.

Dwayne
Old 04-27-2008, 07:55 PM

Oops! I got so excited thinking about St. Thomas, I forgot about the temperature question.

Here is a link to the average temperatures.

Dwayne
Old 04-27-2008, 08:08 PM
IslandCruz-We have to give your recommendation for Boolchand's a full thumbs up with five (5) golden forks! A first class operation on any island!

BillyBuzzy
Old 04-28-2008, 06:45 AM
this is an interesting post
Since this summer I was thinking to stay on the ship and Havensight Mall is mostly my first option to kill time on the island.
I did know their prices were good ones so this makes my decision easier.
As for temperatures on may
st. Thomas is really near of Puerto Rico so our temperatures are mostly the same, your main concern should be the humidity factor.
The caribbean is hot but you can have a great humidity factor that can make 85% really a problem, mostly during May temperatures vary from 85 to 95 degrees depending on the rain, humidity etc.
How to deal with this?
Buy Panadol rapid release or excedrin you will use it greatly, stay out of the 12 pm sun even with sunblock and drink a lot of water.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:33 PM

Thanks to you Dave, Dwayne, Billy-Buzzy and Casanova! It's nice to see the Male of our species in the know about shopping!! We will definitely use your suggestion. Boolchand's sounds like a great place as does the Green House. Took the link to the Green House and it looks like a lot of fun. I live in Mobile, Al. and am well aquainted with humidity so the weather should be a lot like home. But don't the islands have a good amount of breeze? So thanks again guys!

Closed Thread