Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2008, 08:56 PM

Does anyone prefer either Tortola or St. Kitts over St. Maarten? have it narrowed down to three itineraries and was just trying get a little info on these ports. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Tortola was very nice
They have a jitney tour of the island right at the dock for $20.pp
We found the local supermarket to buy bottled water across from the marina
St Kitts & St Martin are also good but it depends on what your interests are
Lots of shopping near the dock on all the islands
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 04-13-2008, 09:53 AM

We've been to all 3 places- St. Maarten a couple times- there we snorkled or went to Orient Beach- always great times--At St. Kitts we did the railway along the old sugarcane fields- a very pleasant day (great mango dacquris), but at Tortola we went on a snorkling trip that took us out to a place were we snorkled in the ocean and then could go snorkling in caves- there were openings in the tops of the caves so some light came in- the coral there was very vivid- I'll never forget that day- although I'd warn you to wear dive gloves- I accidently touched the coral-depth perception can be off in the water and I got a touch of sun-poisoning ( I was having such a good time that even with sunscreen I was in too long- I now wear an acrylic hoodie over my swimsuit- my husband says I look like a pearl diver- but this way I don't miss out on the next day's activities)
Old 04-13-2008, 11:48 AM

Thanks for your replies. I just cant decide if I want to go on the Royal Caribbean cruise that stops at St. Maarten or the Princess cruise that stops in Tortola or the Carnival cruise that stops at St. Kitts and Dominica. They all do stop at Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, and St. Maarten.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:34 PM

I'd opt for Tortola. Absolutely beautiful island. Not crowded, especially if you are the only ship in port. St Maarten can be jam packed especially if there are many ships in port. With that, it is wall to wall tourists.
Legend of the Seas - Oct 2008

Celebrity Constellation - July 2009
MSC Orchestra - Jan 2009
Navigator of the Seas - March 2009
MSC Poesia - November 2009
Jewel of the Seas - June 2010
Old 04-13-2008, 05:13 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words:
Old 04-14-2008, 10:32 AM

St. Maarten is one of my least favorite ports. Dominica,if you enjoy snorkeling, is one of my most favorite. Tortola is a good port as well. If you do the itinerary with Dominica, do the Champagne Reef snorkel. It is one of the best snorkels we've done in the Caribbean. Grenada is also a fantastic port, the Grand Anse Beach is beautiful and Flamingo Bay is another great snorkel.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:25 PM

It's so hard to decide
Old 04-17-2008, 01:08 PM

Which itineraries have you narrowed it down to? Which ships? Sometimes the ship can make up for a less desirable port. Don't get me wrong, St. Maarten is a nice port. I like snorkeling, and the snorkeling there, well, isn't. So that's one reason I don't like it that much. Another reason is because they charge to use the restrooms at Orient Beach. I understand it's a way to generate revenue for the bars/restaurants on the beach, but it just isn't right. St. Maarten is fine, the locals are very friendly, if you're a shopping lover-it's a great place. Any island beats a day in the office, for sure. So don't let me discourage you from St. Maarten. Let us know which ones you're considering.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:35 PM

Well we've got it narrowed down to Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas or Carnival's Victory ship. Royal Caribbean stops at St. Maarten and Carnival does not but instead stops at St. Kitts and Dominica instead. I plan took book next month just trying to weigh out our options. What do you think?

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, day, diving, dock, dominica, kitts, lines, maartin, port, princess, reviews, st, stmaarten, tortola, wear