Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   Grand Caymen (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/32488-grand-caymen.html)

Denise77 03-27-2008 08:48 AM

Can we get a group (8) taxi from port to "hell" and to the Rum Factory without taking the ships tour? Thanks

Denise77 03-27-2008 08:48 AM

Can we get a group (8) taxi from port to "hell" and to the Rum Factory without taking the ships tour? Thanks

Jim C. 03-27-2008 10:53 AM

Easily. There are plenty of taxis and "tour guides" right there at the dock where the tenders dock. GC is one of the safest and easiest ports to do things o your own.

You may wish to get on the internet and search for Grand Cayman tour companies and reserve a tour guid for a group as large as 8. Just so you know you are covered. It is still be cheaper than the cruise ship tour as you are not paying the cruiseline's cut.

Princess8 03-27-2008 03:05 PM

We were there end of Feb. The water was too rough so we ended up at a different port than expected and our Stingray excursion was cancelled so we had to make a last minute decision as to what we were going to do for the day. As soon as we got off the ship, we found a ton of 8 person taxis offering tours of the island. They were all holding signs indicating where they were going and they all looked pretty much the same. We got in a small group of 8 and our driver took us on a 2 hr tour to the Rum Factory, Hell, Turtle Farm, and 7 mile beach with about 20 minutes to spend at each place. The driver was really nice and was a fantastic guide, giving out a lot of information along the way. Some people elected to end the tour at the beach and make their own way back to the ship. We elected to be dropped off at Georgetown to shop and then paid $4 ea to get back to the ship. Not what I had planned for that day but it turned out great!

De&Rich 05-01-2008 06:27 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Denise77:
Can we get a group (8) taxi from port to "hell" and to the Rum Factory without taking the ships tour? Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Denise,I just got back last week. Used caytours.com They took 11 of us to Hell, The turtle farm and the Rum Factory. They stay with you and return you to the shopping district just outside the port. Very safe and it was only about 35 per person, that included your admission to the turtle farm.

RCCL -Soverign 2002,2003
RCCL - Enchantment -2006
Carnival Liberty -4/2008

vandykeworld 05-04-2008 03:40 PM

Don't get excited about "Hell". You gotta go to say you have been there but it is just really a tourist trap! Rocks and a couple of shops and a post office. It is fun to mail postcards postmarked HELL! You can take your own postage and buy the cards at the little shops and then go to the postoffice and mail them. The turtle farm is AWESOME. We just went along because it was part of our tour and we all love it! Have Fun!

Swtgypsy 05-09-2008 12:41 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by De&Rich:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Denise77:
Can we get a group (8) taxi from port to "hell" and to the Rum Factory without taking the ships tour? Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Denise,I just got back last week. Used caytours.com They took 11 of us to Hell, The turtle farm and the Rum Factory. They stay with you and return you to the shopping district just outside the port. Very safe and it was only about 35 per person, that included your admission to the turtle farm.

RCCL -Soverign 2002,2003
RCCL - Enchantment -2006
Carnival Liberty -4/2008 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been having a hard time finding things that we wanted to do on this Island since my Mom and I are not beach people or into a lot of shopping but what you mentioned on your post sounds perfect for us! Thanks

penny3333 05-09-2008 01:49 PM

Please at least go by 7 mile beach and have a look, it is absolutely beautiful. I don't know if it really is 7 miles long, but that is what they say, I haven't measured it. But I have walked up and down the beach, it is truly something to see. The Rum Factory is a good tour, Hell-well it's not much-but fun to say you've been there, and the turtle farm is very interesting. If you do like the ocean and sea life, Stingray City is definitely a must.

Dwayne 05-11-2008 10:32 PM

Paradise Grill at Abanks' watersports is my favorite place to have a drink and some conch fritters. Especially after a day at the beach or an excursion. Great view of the ships and a short walk to the tender docks.

Dwayne