Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2002, 03:14 PM

My clients are undecided about shore excursions while in Ocho - they and I have heard mixed reviews of Dunn's RIver Falls. They are talking about taking a taxi there themselves. Anyone w/ experience there have some good suggestions? (They hoped to see coral reefs & do some snorkeling there on this cruise - is this a good place to do that?) Karen
Old 06-19-2002, 03:14 PM

My clients are undecided about shore excursions while in Ocho - they and I have heard mixed reviews of Dunn's RIver Falls. They are talking about taking a taxi there themselves. Anyone w/ experience there have some good suggestions? (They hoped to see coral reefs & do some snorkeling there on this cruise - is this a good place to do that?) Karen
Old 06-21-2002, 10:00 AM

Karen I had a group on the Norwegian Sky there about a year ago. Here were the best choices the group felt there were;

Dunns River Bike Tour

We boarded a bus at the foot of the tender dock where we visited Fern Gully and then went up to Murphyville. We met out tour guides in Murphyville, we tested the bikes to make sure the brakes worked and then took off up a hill before we started on a dirt road through the jungle where the guides pointed out lots of life like termite mounds. The ride went on for 14 miles…the guides were great. They told jokes, played reggae music and were just characters. They shared lots of Jamaican history. The bike ride ended at Dunns River Falls. Rather than climb the falls we enjoyed a beer and some rest. After a while we made our way back to the ship.

We on scale of 1 –10 we would give it a 9. Caution, you should be in reasonable shape to do this tour.
Golf at Sandals Resort We grabbed a taxicab at the pier and went to Sandals golf course, which is up in the hills. This is an 18-hole golf course (blue tees 6,400 yards, short tees 6,100 yards) and the course is in great condition and they have bent grass on the greens, which is excellent. Green fees were $100, which includes a cart. A personal caddy is required by the course and costs $15 per person. It is well worth it for this course as if you lose a ball the caddy will retrieve it for you. It took 3 ½ hours to play the course. When we were done we made our way back to the ship.
Ocho Rios Beach Trip: We would highly recommend Mahogany Beach. It is a totally free beach (no admission) with free tables, chairs and lounges. They feature a full bar and restaurant and most of the tour boats stop here to snorkel on the reef right off shore. You could easily swim to the reef from the beach. Taxi fare from the ship was only $6.00 per person. This is a great beach because there were no beach vendors hawking stuff on the beach.
I like to simply visit Ocho Rios as it is kind of a fun town once you get past the guys on the other side of the gate trying to sell you tours, shirts, shells and myriad other products and services. There is a great open air market in town for shopping and it is rather an enjoyable town. One caution...as you walk into town from the ship there is a bar on the left hand side and the guys will be solicited as it is actually...... a well, brothel.... Being by myself, I was pulled into the bar before I ralized what was going on. I excaped and elected to walk on the other side of the street on the way back to the ship.

To
Old 06-24-2002, 05:35 AM

Hi Karen,
Try these 2 companies. They offer quality excursions throughout the Caribbean and Mexico.

www.shoretrips.com
www.portpromotions.com
Sincerely,
Lisa

Change of Scene
"Personalized Travel Services"
630-941-0355

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, caribbean, code, cruise, discounts, elderly, excursion, excursions, mahogany, ocho, ochos, reviews, rios, shore, taxi, tripadvisor