Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 09:08 AM

We have an up coming cruise in September that is supposed to have Roatan as a stop and with the recent government shake up there I am wondering if Carnival is going to change ports. I checked the web site and they do not list any changes at this time for Roatan, so I am curious. Maybe I am just bad at geography, but the island of Roatan IS actually part of the country of Honduras isn't it?
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 AM

As far as I know it is. When the bus driver took us to the marina, he was talking about Honduras.

I hope things will calm down because we did a fantastic snorkel there. The lady that owned the catamaran was trying to sell it, but I couldn't talk Ron into it. It was an 82' live aboard, absolutely huge, but old. It would have taken a lot of work. Anyway, we traveled about 20 minutes to the dock where the catamaran was from where we tendered to. We sailed out and back around the jetties. Fantastic coral with depths ranging from above water to about 25'. Good sea life, too, clear water, but a strong current. However, if I can make it, I know y'all can.

We were scheduled to go to Honduras back in the late 80s early 90s, but Royal Caribbean decided not to port because of a coupe. I sure hope that doesn't happen to your cruise, it's an interesting port. The town itself is really small, but there are a lot of shops. It's a very poor country, but the locals didn't hassle you like they do in Jamaica. They were very proud of their country and seemed to want to show it to you.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Roatan is the largest of the Honduran Bay Islands. The State Department has issued a Travel Alert for Honduras.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Administrator

According to this article Carnival has no plans to drop Roatan.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:04 PM

I haven't heard any news of changes yet. They had recently had demonstrations about the electricity rate hikes on the island when I visited last October. Carnival still kept the port. The last I heard was they are monitoring the situation and don't anticipate changes at this time.

Dwayne
Old 07-20-2009, 12:55 PM

roatan is an island off the country of honduras we were there a year and a half ago on carnival.our cruise director of some 15 yrs. told us it was his favorite island in the carribean because that's what islands were like 20 years ago.we also really liked it and still talk about going back.did a beach tour with snorkling off of.a blast. have fun hear ships still going to
Old 10-28-2009, 06:28 PM
The new Mahogany Bay Cruise Center is nearly finished with the Carnival Legend scheduled to be the first ship to arrive at the new piers on Nov. 20th. Apparently they have constructed a "Beach Lift" from the center to Mahogany Beach using a ski lift chair design - it'll be about a six minute ride for $5 and you'll have unlimited use! (Bring your water skis!)

BillyBuzzy

Closed Thread

Tags
alerts, bay, beach, carnival, cruise, dept, hoduras, honduras, island, islands, lift, mahogany, reviews, roatan, ships, state