Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 09:54 PM

I haven't told my boyfriend about the cruise yet (it is a grad gift) but I brought up about swimming with stingrays...he said he would NEVER do it because of what happened with the Croc Hunter- I truly have to wonder if this is something to worry about- i mean, these stingrays are used to being around humans all the time- right??
Old 04-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Banned

That was a completely freak accident; your boyfriend would be a dolt not to swim with the stingrays. He would miss out on one of the best experiences out there. If he chooses not to do the swim, dump him!
Old 04-12-2007, 01:23 AM

I would advise you to introduce him to some web sites and research and see if it alleviates his concerns. Alot of folks have the same concerns since that highly publicized incident. The rays are very tame.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:09 AM
A stingray in the wild that has most likely never seen a human before and ones that see dozens every day are not the same. It is totally safe.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 04-12-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by goin' cruisin':
That was a completely freak accident; your boyfriend would be a dolt not to swim with the stingrays. He would miss out on one of the best experiences out there. If he chooses not to do the swim, dump him!
well...i wouldn't go as far as dumping him for that! (we've been together 7 years!) But i see your point- I would love to swim with the rays- it's a once in a lifetime opportunity!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Banned

I hope you realize there was just a little bit 'o tongue in cheek on that advice. There are much better reasons for dumping someone....like drinking white zinfandel.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:20 AM
Banned

hi candi. Our family of four swam with the Stingrays in G. Cayman. Steve Irwin swam up on top of one in a reef and it startled the ray. Where you are going, the rays are used to human contact. Our excursion guides had names for all of ours(by their markings). Their skin resembles and feels like soft rubber. They will swim around your ankles, perhaps rub up against you. The excursion guides will lift them up onto your back and give you a little pseudo back rub with them. This feels awesome. You will be able to feed them out of the palm of your hand. Out of all of our excursions we have done over the years, Stingray City and Dunns River Falls are 2 of our favorites. Don't miss out on this opportunity. I won't regret it. A'ndrea
Old 04-12-2007, 07:24 AM

That is so funny that you said that! My husband, who is usually Mr Tough Guy, won't even go snorkling because of what happened to The Croc. Hunter.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:22 AM

You may be interested in this bit of news, released April 10th: News Release about Stingray Sandbar

You may want to look into this and make alternative plans.

I feel so sorry that this had to happen. Our family were just there about a month ago, and Stingray city, snorkeling at Coral Garden in Grand Cayman and doing the Dunns River climb were the highlights of our trip. It felt so great swimming out in the "ocean" and being so close to nature. It was beautiful!

Old 04-13-2007, 06:13 AM
Administrator

The tour is open. It was only closed on Wednesday, March 28. Read about it here.

Closed Thread