Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2007, 09:12 PM

Hi all. I am new to the board and have some questions. Me & a friend will be going on a cruise to the Bahamas (Carnival Celebration) in a few months and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best excurions in Freeport & Nassau would be? We don't want to spend tons of money but would like to get some good photo's for our scrapbook and of course have a good time. I've heard of the "Queens Steps", is this something good to go see? Is there anything walking distance from where the ship docks (including beaches) or will we have to take taxi's everywhere? Where is good shopping for suveneers (sp?)? Where is the Hard Rock Cafe in Nassau? Thanks to anyone who can give me any advice!!!!
Linda
Old 06-09-2007, 09:12 PM

Hi all. I am new to the board and have some questions. Me & a friend will be going on a cruise to the Bahamas (Carnival Celebration) in a few months and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best excurions in Freeport & Nassau would be? We don't want to spend tons of money but would like to get some good photo's for our scrapbook and of course have a good time. I've heard of the "Queens Steps", is this something good to go see? Is there anything walking distance from where the ship docks (including beaches) or will we have to take taxi's everywhere? Where is good shopping for suveneers (sp?)? Where is the Hard Rock Cafe in Nassau? Thanks to anyone who can give me any advice!!!!
Linda
Old 06-10-2007, 05:44 AM

Hi Lindalou, How are you?

Welcome to cruise chat. Nassau's largest attraction would be the Atlantis hotel. From the ship, take a taxi over the bridge to Paradise Island. The queen's steps for me was not much to see. Here is a way to find your answers:
At the top of the thread are some tabs. Click on the "find" tab and type in "Nassau excursions."

You will have a wealth of information at your finger tips.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:47 AM

What is "good to see" is subjective. It will depend on what your interest are. It looks like the Celebration is in port from 8:00am-10:00pm. You might want to take an island tour excursion which would give you a glimpse of many different things on the island. When you return from that you could do some shopping in downtown Nassau and the straw market. Then You should still have time to go over to the Atlantis and check it out.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:50 AM

we have sailed on the celebration several times. you will enjoy it. In Nassau we walked to the queens staircase. It was very impressive. also we took the city bus for 1 dollar and kinda toured the city. I researched everything on the internet before we left, you may want to also. but I always tell every post about Nassau, stay off of the water taxi. It is very unsafe.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:27 AM

Everyone has given you great advice. See ATLANTIS but go there by taxi not boat. The water taxi drops you off about 1/2 mile away and it's an uphill walk. The taxi takes you right to the door. It's cheap too, but ASK the driver UP FRONT what it will cost. Otherwise, walk around town, see the sights, note how many banks there are (money laundering is their main source of income) and enjoy. Nassau is NOT a good snorkeling site. Check some of the older chats here too. We've discussed this subject alot!! Have a great cruise. Remember that CELEBRATION is one of the oldest Carnival ships and is NOT representative of the entire fleet. You'll have a great time though!!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Hi Linda,

Welcome to Cruise-Chat.

If it's your first time in Nassau an island tour would be nice, it will take you tosome of the better highlights. There are several tours offered that will give you some good picture taking opportunities. I was there earlier in the year and did the Ardastra Gardens & City tour. The gardens were nice and we did go to the fort where the Queen's Steps were located.

I have a few pictures on my website if you want to see what the tour is like.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy June 27, 2014
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014

Past Cruises:
42 and Counting......
Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator

I've never thought much of the Queen's Steps as a tourist attraction. Judge for yourself by this photo. .
Old 06-11-2007, 04:47 AM
Banned

Looks pretty uneventful.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:08 AM

I liked the queenstair case. We had been to Nassau once before and I really never found anything about Nassau to impress me. So we decided to see the staircase. I thought that it was a beautiful site considerering it was made by hand. But not everyone enjoys the same thing, and thats ok.

Closed Thread

Tags
cafe, caribbean, cruise, distance, dock, hard, nassau, rock, royal, ship