Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 07:18 PM

What is the spending limit for duty free shopping? I've heard that it is $500.00 in the caribbean. That seems a bit low to me for such a renown shopping port such as ST. Thomas or St. Martin.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:04 AM

cheche, You heard some bad information.

Here is a link to the details.

Hope this helps,

Dwayne
Old 04-29-2008, 05:06 PM

Hey Dwayne, thanks for the link. I am glad to know that my savings for the trip can be blown anyway I want!! Are the alcohol and cig prices good in St. Thomas? I'm the only smoker around here and I'd like to get some deals. Also, what do I do with the alcohol when I reboard the ship? thanks for your time and all of your great wisdom!!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:53 PM

You are most welcome, though I am not that wise.

I have never shopped for cigarettes on the island. I have heard they have good prices though. I buy them at the duty-free shop on board Carnival. I have gotten some good rum and vodka prices before. I think Royal Caribbean's policies about the alcohol are the same as Carnival's. Meaning, you would turn the alcohol in when re-boarding to be delivered the last evening of the cruise.

It seems my main shopping there has been focused on things of the shiny sort. If you have time, the perfect way to end a day of shopping and haggling, is to take the skylift to Paradise Point for a Bushwhacker and an awesome view for picture taking.

Dwayne
Old 04-30-2008, 06:33 PM

You are right on the money about the skylift and the libation! I had seen info about the skylift somewhere in my internet travels and definitely made a decision to do this adventure. I too am more interested in the "shiny" bling-bling, I cannot wait to shop the jewelers. One of my favorite things is to haggle with the sales person. You know the shops probably have closed circuit tv and they love to play back these foolish american women who come to bargain for their treasures. I would!! haha thanks again, Dewayne.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:55 PM

cheche, I can recommend Ballerina Jewelers on St.Thomas. They are located at 6&7A Main St. Ask for James.

Dwayne
Old 05-05-2008, 01:12 PM

cheche, please call your credit card company and make sure they do not charge a fee for the conversion back to u.s. currency. A few years ago we paid for some excursions on my royal caribbean credit card and got charged a 6% fee to convert to u.s. currency. Just beware. I now use a capitol one visa when on vacation. They were the only ones I found that did not charge the fee. Have fun spending and St Thomas is our favorite stop in the caribbean.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:35 PM

thanks matkanmich! I appreciate the heads up. Will call my company before I leave. 20 days to go!!!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:10 PM

That is good advice matkanmich. It is a good idea to call your credit card company also just to let them know your travel plans. Some companies will not accept charges from other countries, if they are not notified in advance.

The conversion rate would not be an issue on St. Thomas. It would be on St. Martin though.

I found some more Duty Free info on the Carnival site.

Here is a link.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, caribbean, cigarettes, duty, free, martin, prices, rcl, royal, savings, shop, shopping, skylift, st, thomas