Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 06:47 PM

how bad are the mosquitoes in roatan and belize? It never crossed my mind about the diseases they carry until this week. they carry malaria and i am now very concerned about them. I have a liver disease and my liver can not take another hit. so do I have anything to worry about. I cant take the precaution med for malaria because of my liver. But i certainly dont want a mosquito bite to kill me. I can stay on the ship if I have to. someone please tell me I have nothing to worry about.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:38 AM

That's a good question macmom. I have only been in the tourist town section of Belize. I didn't notice any mosquitoes. With going on the cave tubing excursion this year, that could be a concern.

Dwayne
Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 AM

We went on the cave tubing excursion in Belize. We walked through the jungle and didn't see any, nor did we get bit. That doesn't mean there wasn't any, just that it was a problem during the day. You could always put on repellent before your excursion if you are concerned.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-25-2008, 12:08 PM
If you are worried make sure you take a good bug repellent & wear long sleeves, long pants etc...
We did a river trip in Costa Rica & had no problems.
we did go to the beach in Roatan but saw no bugs not even the notorious sand fleas.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 08-25-2008, 03:28 PM

Hi,

We saw no evidence of bugs on our cave tubing in Belize - that was in March.

In Roatan I did get bitten by the sand fleas. Actually I'm not sure they were sand fleas, but I only got bitten in the change room. My husband on the beach didn't get bitten at all.
Judy
Old 08-27-2008, 02:43 AM

Mosquitoes are worse in the evening near sun down in the south east US. Bull Frog is an awesome water proof sunscreen. I have been using it for many years. They now have it with a bug repellent.

If they would include an anti-jellyfish sting element like Safe Sea has it would be the ultimate cruise sunscreen.

Dwayne
Old 08-27-2008, 08:29 AM

In Roatan, we had no problems. Then again, we were there in the day, and went snorkeling where they don't hang out. It's been years since we were in Belize, I doubt we saw anything anyway.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:21 AM

well my dr said he would not give his blessing for me to go to Belize or Roatan because of the malaria the mosquitoes carry. I am torn. I know I cant live in fear, but I also dont want to be careless.
so on Belize we will do Bannister Island, maybe if not we will stay on the ship.
in Roatan we are going to spray our self with deep woods off and go to tabayana beach.
the internet said the mosquitoes that carry malaria come out a dusk. I will be well hiden in my room until we are way off shore.
if anyone needs to know what kind of bug spray to get the internet recommends nothing less then 30% deet for the malaria mosquitoes.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:13 AM

Can you not take a shot? We have to take shots for Yellow Fever for our cruise in December.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:22 AM

no cant take any preventative meds. My liver is damaged from a hemochromatosis... if my liver had not been damaged i could take the meds.

Closed Thread

Tags
bad, belize, bitten, carry, cruise, cruises, fleas, honduras, malaria, march, mosquieoes, mosquito, mosquitoes, roatan, sand, ship, ships