Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2007, 03:09 AM

Hello all, I am quite new to the cruise vacations, but am very excited about the trip my girlfriend has planned for us...lol....can't say I had much of a hand in planning it all. My question is that we are going to Progreso and Cozumel on the Ecstasy Ship. In Cozumel I had read that renting a jeep (outside of the cruise line) was a fun way to go sightseeing on the island. Are there ways to view the ruins via jeep? I guess I'm just somewhat lost never going there before (to Cozumel, I've been to the ruins before once via Cancun, however, we took a taxi and I was 12 years old so I don't remember much). Does anyone have any suggestions??
Thanks,
-Matt (OKC, OK)
Old 09-13-2007, 07:33 AM

Hi matt-tastic, welcome to Cruise-Chat. There have been many posts about renting a jeep in Cozumel, I personally have not done it. I don't speak Spanish, so I'm leary about driving when I can't read. Not sure what your interests are, but there is some great snorkeling in Cozumel. Xel-ha is a beautiful water park, Chankanaab's reefs were pretty much done in from Wilma, but the water is still nice. The beach is nice there as well. There have been gobs of posts about Paradise beach being great as well. It's where they film the Corona Commercials. Progresso, do an all-inclusive or maybe go shopping. You can search this site by using the find feature and typing in Cozumel or Progresso and you can also use Google by typing in Cozumel beaches or Cozumel whatever you're interested in. Hope you have a marvelous cruise, just be warned cruising is addictive! Best wishes!
Old 11-24-2007, 09:44 AM

We rented a jeep in Cozumel and had a blast,it's really easy and you can see what you want to see,drive along the shoreline and stop at the bars and restaurants(all on the beach) along the way. We had a delicious lunch at one of them. You can drive to the ruins but we didn't go there.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:39 PM

If you have the time, renting a jeep is the best way to see Cozumel. You have the freedom to go where you want and it is possible to drive and see most of the island in one day including the ruins.
The other side of the island is more rugged and beautiful. The process of renting the jeep make take some time but it is definetley worth it! Cozumel is safe and easy to drive.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:45 AM

I just checked the map we used when on the island of Cozumel and found 5 sites that claim to be ruins.San Gervasio Ruins are the ones we drove by but did not visit.It goes without saying that everything you do when on vacation is up to your own discretion.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:27 AM

Cozumel is very driver friendly. Just pay attention and you won't have a problem. It is difficult to get lost since you are on an island. The main road is essentially a loop around the island. There is some breathtaking scenery to behold that you will only be able to see by driving there yourself. Driving in any foreign country is not without it's hazards. Yield to the locals and don't expect perfect interstate conditions. You don't have to worry about getting ripped off. The car rental people do not want bad publicity so they will give you a late model, semi-well maintained vehicle at a relative bargain. Enjoy!!
Old 12-01-2007, 05:02 PM

We are going to Cozumel in a few weeks and I've been reading up but am in no way a professional on the subject. But the ruins on the island of Cozumel are not as fabulous as the ones on the mainland. Apparently from what I've read the "ruins" on the island are just worship "altars" when the women would come over from the mainland to honor a god. The ruins that were once the cities are on the mainland. Someone may know better but thats what I understood.And you may know that and be good with that. We haven't decided what to do yet. We really want to go to some of the larger ruins bt it requires a 6+ hour trek to/up the mainland.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 12-02-2007, 08:39 AM

I think you are right Shelby,I have not visited them but I have read that the ruins on Cosumel are not very impressive. You would be better off to see them some where else,we saw them in Belize and I have heard that Costa Maya has some interesting ones as well. I think Costa Maya is still closed. Anybody know?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Shelby is quite correct. The San Gervasio ruins on Cozumel are not very interesting, and unless they have taken stronger measures to combat them the mosquitoes will chew you up!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 AM

The Chacchoben ruins of Costa Maya are very interesting indeed. It was neat to see ruins of good quality but it was also nice to see mounds where they haven't even begun excavating. (Plus, the little snack shop beside the entry way to the ruins serves great tequila shots) Alas, the hurricane has rendered Costa Maya temporarily unaccessable but, rest assured, these people come from warrior ancestory and they will be back up and running quicker than expected. Here is a little sample of Chacchoben ruins...

Closed Thread

Tags
costa, cozumel, drive, driving, gervasio, jeep, main, maya, port, rent, rental, renting, reviews, ruins, san