Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   Coco Cay-money ?? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/33606-coco-cay-money.html)

queenofcruzin 10-13-2007 02:04 PM

Does your sea pass work here for drinks or will you need the real thing ??? What about beach mats ?

Sonny V 10-14-2007 12:14 AM

Yes, you use your sea pass. I think beach mats are $10 for the day.

Sonny

MCPayne 10-19-2007 08:36 PM

You should be able to use your SeaPass card seeing as how this is Royal Caribbean's private island. You can reserve your Beach Mat at the Shore Excursions (or Explorations) desk on the ship or when you book your cruise. They are $10 and are available at your leisure for the duration of your stay on the island.

lil2krayzee 10-24-2007 01:37 PM

Never been on a cruise, so any advice you want to throw in on top of answering my question would be great too!

We are going on a cruise to the Bahamas on RC in May '08 for our honeymoon. Neither of us have ever flown, nor have we ever been on a cruise. Obviously when we dock, I want to take a camera, sunscreen, towel, etc. Is it safe to bring a small bag? We'd like to snorkel too, so I'd need to leave the bag. What do you recommend? I thought about an underwater camera instead of my digital one, but I dont' want to miss out on digital pictures.

Also, kind of random, but do cell phones normally work on cruise ships?

queenofcruzin 10-25-2007 05:34 PM

Thanks for the answers on money in CoCo Cay...just some tip money, to keep 'em coming..hee-hee.

On the random question of cell-phones, I would love to say NO, but I remember on the Adventure of the Seas, watching teens and adults alike talking non-stop on their cell phones. Just depends on your service....but I'd really like to make 'em stop, it's a cruise, RELAX ! Or talk to your family, shipmates, the crew, you might make a new friend, and the rest will be waiting by the cell when you get home. Jeez, I sound like a fuddy duddy...

lil2krayzee 10-26-2007 07:41 AM

I just wondered about the phone because we'd like to call home and check on our daughter periodically, not talk on it all the time. I'm looking forward to not having to do that!

What do ya'll recommend on the camera situation?

Dave 10-26-2007 07:56 AM

If you snorkel at Coco Cay it is safe to bring a digital camera and leave it in your bag when not in use. Coco Cay is really an extension of the ship since it will still be just the passengers and crew. There are some RCI employees who live on the island, as well as some locals from neighboring islands who will set up some open air shops for souvenirs. For the native market you will need some cash since they don't take your cruise card. The cruise card is used for everything else on Coco Cay.

penny3333 10-26-2007 07:57 AM

It depends on the port, if they have lockers available at the beaches, then I'll take a good camera. If it's just a beach without facilities, I take my disposable camera. If it's stolen, it's not a big loss. So far, we've never had it stolen. Guess they're not interested in a $10 camera. Your phone may or may not work in some ports, call your provider to make sure and also ask them if there will be an extra charge. We used ours in San Juan last year and I believe it was $1.90 a minute. Still a whole lot less than using a ship to shore call which was $9.50 a minute.

lil2krayzee 10-29-2007 09:08 AM

This may be a dumb question, but I haven't used a disposable camera in years! I've been spoiled by digital lately. Do disposables still take relatively good pictures?

lil2krayzee 10-29-2007 09:08 AM

And I'm guessing you can't just go back and forth from the boat can you?