Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2006, 08:18 PM

I just got an email from cozumel news and they said that the docks there will be ready for ships --- no more tenders, except the Puerta Maya pier, that won't be ready until Aug. of 2007. Do you know which dock the Miracle (my cruise will be on the Miracle) docks from? Below is what the email said:
(www.wilmacozumel.com)
Cozumel's piers will be able to dock 4 cruise ships per day from October, said Victor Vivas González, head of Cozumel's Port Authority in an exclusive interview with wilmacozumel.com last week.

Passengers have been transferring by ferries since Hurricane Wilma damaged piers, but the International Pier recently re-opened its dock to accept one ship directly alongside per day.

In October, it will be ready to dock 2 ships. Punta Langosta will also be ready for 1 ship to dock in June and then 2 in October as well.

Carnival cruise line's Puerta Maya pier should be ready to re-open in August 2007, said Mr Vivas. He added that an agreement may soon be reached over $57 million in port fees that the Authority claimed Carnival owed them.

Carnival has been offered a large discount on the disputed debt and will be offered cheaper port fees in the future as well, said Mr Vivas.

He said this formed part of an attempt to attract more ships to the island in the summer months. The number of cruise ships coming to Cozumel in the summer is traditionally lower than the rest of the year. This is because many cruise lines run alternative summer routes to destinations like Alaska and New York.

Hope

Edit: Moved to Caribbean Port Chat. RF

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-23-2006, 08:42 PM

The Carnival Conquest will be tendering on May 5th???? If so, how far will we be fromthe dock and how long will it take???

Thanks.

A.C.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:43 PM

Thank you for that information.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:15 AM

A.C.--

I'm not sure about the Conquest, but I think that the tenders will be going on until October if I read the email correctly. That means if you go before then you will be subject to a ride to the mainland on a tender. You can always call Carnival and ask about your ship's details. Hope this helped. Have fun on your cruise.

Hope

Old 04-24-2006, 04:22 AM

SonnyV-

You are most welcome.

Hope

Old 04-24-2006, 11:01 AM

I was in Coz last week and the only dock working was at the international pier. It looked temporary. The Intl. Pier is where Royal Carribean ties up.

The other piers are still just just big masses of twisted steel and broken concrete.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:13 PM

That's sad to hear. Maybe by March 2007 when my cruise sails things will be in better shape. Lets just hope that this storm season is a mild one. Thanks for the info.

Hope

Closed Thread

Tags
authority, cozumel, dock, internation, pier, piers, port, ships