Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 03:02 PM

Need suggestions for Costa Maya. Did a search and all of the threads were old... anyway, I am looking for suggestions for Costa Maya.

We are doing the ruins in Belize and a beach excursion in Cozumel. We are staying on the ship in Nassau, been there before, too much like Florida (where we used to live). We are not big into snorkeling or scuba diving so what does that leave in Costa Maya?

Have never been there, is it interesting enough just to get off of the ship and walk around? Or is there anything that we do not want to miss?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:38 AM

It's basically a port that was built for the cruise line industry. Beach day or shopping would be my suggestions.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:16 PM

We cruised this way 5 years ago on the Princess Grand. If memory is correct one of the itineraries available at this port is a tour of the Chuckchoban (Red Corn) (spelling!?) Mayan temple ruins. It was breathtaking. My husband didn't want to do this but ended up going with me and announced it the best ever as he actually got to see what he'd been taught about in grade school. The ruins were excavated by the Royal Ontarion Museum so there was a special Canadian connection for us which was made very clear by the tour guide. We found our tour guide a lovely young man who was studying English history at the University of Mexico and tour guiding in the off months. The site had only been open for 6 months when we got there and we were able to actually climb the ruins and be a part of it. It was breathtaking and I would heartily reccommend it. Even the coach ride in (l-l/2 hrs) was a fascinating look at how the local people live; their homes, livestock, children etc.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 PM

My biggest recommendation is walk through Costa Maya and follow signs for taxis, I believe it is $5 to go to Mahajual or Majahual a small fishing village, that is growing by leaps and bounds. But it is definitely a more Mexican town feel. I cruised solo, and had a great beach day there, felt safe, had great service. Strolled the beach and found comfortable chair, negotiated a price, with the purchase of a beverage about $10. You can often get a better chair price, if you let them know you will be purchasing beverages... Had a lunch served on the beach, very relaxing day.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 04-09-2009, 04:20 AM

We made the mistake of not booking anything through the cruise line. We thought taxis would be available to take us somewhere, but there were none to be found. I don't know if they were on strike or what. We looked around the shops and then walked down by the sharp rocks to check out the fish in knee deep water. There was not much to here since no taxies ever came by. This was almost four years ago, so hopefully things have changed. Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
chuckchoban