Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006, 06:53 PM

Has anyone rented a car in St Martin in Philipsburg? Does anyone know how far away the AVIS rental place is or have any idea which place is best? We want to spend the day exploring on our own, but don't want to get ripped off or have a hard time finding the rental place! THANKS A LOT!
Old 08-10-2006, 12:17 AM

CruiserBarb, Not sure if Avis was at the same area, but there is a place where there are about 6 car rental companies, right off the cruise dock. (SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG)I believe it was just a bit of a walk I think.I have bad feet, and it didn't bother me much, so It couldn't have been too long of a walk. Ask anyone as you get off the ship, they know where they are. There were some better known car rental companies and some others. They are set up in booths all together. The sales people were very agressive, quite annoying, but they will compete / haggle for your business and give you a deal to beat thier competition. So see if you can get a good deal. Be sure to compare the year of the car and the condition. Also very important to ask each the final price. Some will lure you in with a much lower price and not tell you they will add on tax and stuff. We rented a new Toyota Corolla last, it was about $60 including all the add on charges as I recall. Thought that was kinda steep, but cheaper than a ship excursion for all of us. We drove around the whole island. I am really glad to share with you that I think you'll like the island better if you go left, not right like we did. We started around from the pier area counter clockwise, and with the exception of a few nice views of the ocean at times, did not like the area, very low income. We should have known better, that was our 4th time on St. Martin on a cruise intinerary. That was probably the Dutch side on the right, almost postitive, now as I recall. We were originally supposed to take a speed ferry to St. Barts, never been there, but the seas were to choppy. Make sure when you drive you get a detailed map. I had one that was a tourist advertising map, hardly any details, kept getting lost. Not sure where you'd find one. It was stressful toward the end of our journey because we didn't leave much time to get back to the ship since we kept getting lost. Had a great time though, very memorable. Once we rented a Jeep in St. Thomas, that was a blast, would have rented a Jeep again but the day we were there it was raining a bit, and the Jeeps come with all the plastic windows taken off. And some are afraid to leave stuff in the Jeep when they park. There is a small trunk in the back which should fit most of your things that you can lock behind the spare tire.,,, So remember to to the French side, much nicer. Take a left on the main road out of Phillipsburg. Have fun and be sure to share your experiences. What other islands are you stopping at?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:55 AM

Thank you for the info. I have a reservation with Avis but wasn't sure if it was lumped with all the other rental places. I am also going to St Thomas and Nassau. Thanks again!
Old 08-10-2006, 06:24 AM

CruiserBarb, You're welcome. I remember that Budget was there. Wish I could remember if Avis was there too.

I'll be stopping at St. Thomas on my next cruise in Nov., not sure what to do there. Been to Trunk Bay, St. John., Rented a car another time, went on a Catarmaran sail & snorkel thing once, but can't make our minds up about St.Thomas. Maybe Trunk Bay again. What are you planning?
Old 08-13-2006, 02:24 AM

Thanks. In St Thomas i am planning to get up early and take the ferry to St John for a bit, then back to St Thomas to catch an hour or two of Coral World. I've been there before and enjoyed it. Then off to (likely by taxi) Magens bay and then back to the cruise ship. St Thomas is lovely.

Closed Thread

Tags
car, cruise, day, forum, hertz, jeep, maarten, martin, philipsburg, places, port, rent, rental, st, stthomas, thomas