Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2006, 07:28 PM

Looking for "must see" recommendations in San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, Aruba for family with boys ages 7 & 10 (non-swimmers).
Old 01-07-2006, 07:37 PM
I have only been to St Thomas once. The Atlantis submarine tour was very nice. I have a few pictures from the ride on my website.

I'm going back in May so I would like recommendations too
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 01-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Although your sons are non-swimmers, do they enjoy the water? Megan's Bay in St. Thomas is a wonderful place for non-swimmers. I know that some consider it touristy, yet we always have a nice time there, as does our son (also a non-swimmer). Alternatively, you could take a side trip to St. John, which is absolutely beautiful.

San Juan has wonderful forts which we found fun to explore. Are you doing a pre-cruise or post-cruise stay there, or is it a port of call?

In Aruba, now that the Natural Bridge is gone, I'm not sure what to recommend. In Barbados, we took a tour of a rum factory, which my husband liked, followed by a couple of hours on the beach. I wouldn't call this a "must see," though. My favorite memory of Barbados, though, is talking with the people who live there. They were very friendly and a pleasure to talk with.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:41 PM

Thanks for responding. I'm surprised at your comment that the Natural Bridge is gone. When and what happened to it? Was it hit by a hurricane or something? The 2006 guidebooks never mentioned anything to that effect.

We arrive in San Juan one afternoon and embark the next day afternoon/evening.

Thanks again.
T
Old 01-13-2006, 11:47 AM

In san juan stay away from downtown restaurants because they are not kid friendly. We did the carnival destiny last february and are doing it again. It has the same stops you mentioned.we had the best time. In dominica I would not reccommend wacky rollers, not the best time.Don't go downtown either.We were solicited for drugs twice. Near Magens bay in St. Thomas they have a park similar to sea world. Plus that beach is the most kid friendly. IN aruba I would suggest baby beach. I've read it is great for inexperienced swimmers. Check out cruisecritic.com. It has tons of info you could use.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:59 AM

Thanks for taking the time to submit your ideas. Have a great cruise yourself!

Tina
Old 01-21-2006, 12:23 PM

In Dominica we did the bus ride/hike to the Emerald Falls - really neat and the boys could do it.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:41 PM

Even if the boys are non-swimmers, they can snorkel. All boats provide snorkel vests or life jackets. Dominica has a great snorkel at Champagne Beach. There is a fissure in the volcano that lets tiny bubbles escape, the sea life is abundant. There is also a trip to the Emerald Falls if you don't want to try snorkeling. St. Thomas you can tour Blackbeard's castle, shop, go to St. Johns and snorkel at Trunk Bay. If you go snorkeling in Barbados, use Tiami catamarans-the crew is great and the ships are immaculate. There is also a tour of the caverns that is really interesting. The only tours we've ever done in Aruba are snorkeling on catamarans. Enjoy your cruise.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. We returned last Sunday from our cruise (had a delightful time) but I'll tuck your ideas into my resource file for next time or others.

Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran, nonswimmer, st, thomas