Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 12:12 PM

Getting ready to leave 12/2/06 on Ecstacy and was wondering what comments anyone had in reference to these excusrions. Not sure I really want the 7.5 hrs to fill my whole day at Cozemel. Noticed there was also a 4hr ruin excursion available too. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:33 PM

If you've seen one set of Mayan Ruins you've seen em all...JUST KIDDING! Cozumel is a fun place to rent a jeep on your own and check out a few sites on the island. It is very easy to get around and most attractions are easy to find as well. I agree, a whole day of ruins would be a bit much.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 11-09-2006, 03:10 PM

The 7.5 hour excursions are needed because they ferry you back to the mainland and drive (bus) to the sites. There are two main sites for these... Tulum and Chizinitza (no idea on how to spell that but its close enough) Tulum is right on the sea shore and has a beach that is beyond incredible. If you take that tour, bring a towel and where swim trunks so you can go down to the water. Chizinitza has much bigger "pyramids" and they let you climb them (Tulum does not allow you to climb onto the ruins) So if you are looking to be able to climb up the stairs and go to the top of the ruins, you need to go to Chizinitza.

The ruins on Cozumel are ok, but not as impressive as those on the mainland. I can fully understand not wanting to use up the entire day in Cozumel on a tour. It truly depends on how badly you want to see a ruin. We have gone to Cozumel several times so we have been able to do the tours and not feel like we were missing out.

Hope that helps
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 11-09-2006, 08:36 PM

I have been to three mayan ruins. Tulum is nice and I like the beach that they have. The time frame is 45 minutes to ferry to Playa de Carmen then take 1 hour to the ruins with a stop at a tequila shop. The tequila was too strong! Once you get to the ruins your guide will talk about the ruins they you get some time to explore on your own.
I did Altun Ha/River Wallace ruins in Belize and it was 7minutes to tender to the shore and the bus ride was 1 hour. The roads were very bumpy. Got a tour of the site and was able to climb one the temples but the steps were very steep and the handrails were alittle loose. The river part was fun since you see how the people live and all the animals.
Did Chitzen? in Costa Maya and it was nice.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:48 PM

Hi

If you have not seen the ruins they are nice to see. Personally I would not dwell to much on the ones in Cozumel but the ones in Chicken etz are very nice. What you have to determine is if you want to do beaches or the temples. on my first trip there I had the attitude that I can visit beaches in the states but I can't visit the Mayan Temples in the States. Thats what you and your other half have to decide.

St. Martin Hotel Reviews
Old 11-17-2006, 10:03 PM

I did the mayan ruins in september. It was fun. Very, very, hot there! bring water and loose clothing. I thought the same thing with the long hours mentioned in the excursions. However, the time fly's by. They count in the time you will spend traveling there and getting back. All we did there was the Mayan ruins then about a hour and half shopping time. So the time did go by fast. You need those hours however to enjoy your time off the ship. This was the only stop off the ship where I had someone offer me drugs. So be careful when your off the ship. It's best to stay with someone, I would never advice going off alone. As soon as the person who offered me drugs seen I was with my fiance' he backed off and took off pretty quick. Be careful, just say no and walk away.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:32 PM

Hi Artzy!
We will be right there with you on Ecstasy Dec. 2nd!
I am taking my best friend and her lil girl on their first cruise.

In Cozumel, we plan to take the ship's excursion to Xcaret to give us a one-day taste of Mexico through a variety of activities like floating through caves down an underground river and experiencing the Mayan cultural village.

In Progreso, we have scheduled the Chichen Itza excursion. I agree with Ceemonster ... I can not imagine visiting the Mayan lands and not seeing the ruins, no matter how long the tour ... and Chichen Itza is, hands down, the greatest of these ruins. It has been declared by many sources as one of the top wonders of our world. "Good Morning America" announced this week that it is one of the seven new wonders of the world. I know it will be a long day for the kids, but it's a great opportunity. We'll just be sure to have our gameboys charged up for the bus ride.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:09 AM

Since we will have my 71 year old aunt who is great to travel with but due to a past hip replacement a year ago I feel the walking of the ruins might be a little much for her. Seems we are going to venture out without excursions. 2 of the 3 traveling are experienced cruisers and don't feel afraid of trying something on our own. Shopping seems to be high on our list since it is so close to Christmas. In Cozumel we are going to spend half a day at paradise beach and half shopping. Progresso still undecided except for SHOPPING!
Old 11-28-2006, 02:19 PM

Having been to Progresso and now realizing that there isn't anything to miss there, I'd have no problem spending my entire port stay going to see Chichen Itza. You can shop in Cozumel, the diving is unbleivable in Cozumel etc etc... In Progresso, you can shop in a Flea Market and buy crap... go for the ruins.. you'll have a much better time.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 11-29-2006, 05:28 AM

Hi There

I am in the same situation not knowing what to prefer in doing that day.

Would love to see the ruins and have to possibilities to do so:

1. Tulum Mayan Ruins Express Tour or
2. Tulum Mayan Tour combined with Xel-Ha Park

Any suggestions? Does it make sense to visit that beach Park for 2 hours approx.
What can we do there? Is it like a remote beach or more like a tourist place with bars and restaurants etc?

What kind of weather could we expect around Xmas? Cool and windy? What about mosquitos? Are they much trouble over there?

Thanks in advance

Silke from Germany

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, belize, chizinitza, excursion, excursions, express, maya, mayan, review, reviews, river, ruins, shore, spell, tulum, tume