Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 05:07 PM

-would any of y'all mind telling me which is better for shopping-i need to know, thanks
Old 06-27-2006, 05:55 PM

London, we were in both ports last summer, and from what I remember, there is not much difference in pricing, although some people say that St. Thomas is a little less expensive than St. Maarten. And, I remember thinking that the main shopping area in Phillipsburg (St. Maarten) was cleaner and nicer (and a bit larger) than in Charlotte Amalie (St. Thomas). If you go to St. Martin (the French side), I think that you'll find the prices there higher than either St. Thomas or St. Maarten.

What exactly are you looking to buy? If it's jewelry, I don't think the prices will vary much if you stay in the recommended stores. We found some liquors more expensive in St. Maarten, but not by much.

Chris

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 06-28-2006, 06:54 PM

well-i just want stuff like electronics-doesnt st maarten have stray dogs and stuff-like weird stuff and i heard someone got murdered there....................
Old 06-28-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
well-i just want stuff like electronics-doesnt st maarten have stray dogs and stuff-like weird stuff and i heard someone got murdered there
Well, I think you're going to find stray dogs anywhere. . . .In St. Thomas, I saw more stray cats than stray dogs. . . don't remember dogs, actually.

Furthermore, you need to be careful no matter where you go. There are people murdered in Smalltown, USAs all the time, too. . .and there are stray dogs all over the US, too. My point is that no matter where you go, you need to be aware of your surroundings. Don't go flashing money around. Don't go places - especially places with which you are not familiar - alone.

As far as electronics go, I don't remember ever seeing an electronics store anywhere that I've gone. Another word of advice, though. I would be very careful buying anything electronic out of the country. First, you have to make sure what you are buying is actually what you *think* you are buying. Also. . .What ar you going to do if you have problems once you get back to the States?

Good luck

Chris

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 07-15-2006, 11:38 PM
Is there anything in particular worth shopping for in St. Thomas or St. Maarten/Martin? In otherwords, after you left, did you say "Oh! I wish I could have bought that! Oh! I wish I could have purchased more of that!
Old 07-16-2006, 10:16 AM

I only remember the jewel stores, they were great on both islands. Heard bad things about the electronic stores, from passengers and crew members.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:58 PM

We went to both St Thomas and St Martin a couple of years ago with our 3 teenage daughters... Wasn't very impressed with St. Thomas, had a problem with the open air bus. (cab driver was reading and talking to himself while driving the bus.... very scary on the hilly roads) but we all loved St. Martin and enjoyed shopping there immensely... Found everything from hand made crafts to souveiner trinkets to clothes and beautiful jewelry.... Going again in August... Think We'll try going to St. John from St. Thomas hear it's really beautiful....

Closed Thread

Tags
cats, celebrity, dogs, electronic, maarten, martin, port, shopping, st, stmartins, store, stores, stray, thomas, vs