Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   Trunk bay (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/34213-trunk-bay.html)

tanyababanya 09-08-2006 01:30 AM

Hi everyone. My oldest daughter is interested in going snubaing or snorkling during our cruise in December, but I don't know where we can rent the equipment or get lessons for this. I've heard stories about people getting reactions on their faces from renting out mouthpieces used by others with infections or illnesses. Plausible? Should I have them bring their own snorkling gear? I know Trunk Bay has an underwater trail, but since only my two eldest daughters and husband know how to swim, I'm a little anxious. How long does the trail stretch and how deep is the water?

Another thing is that I keep reading about the time it takes to get to Trunk Bay from St. Thomas. Some say it takes 15 minutes, others say an hour and a half. What's the real time frame that I should be looking at here?

tanyababanya 09-08-2006 01:30 AM

Hi everyone. My oldest daughter is interested in going snubaing or snorkling during our cruise in December, but I don't know where we can rent the equipment or get lessons for this. I've heard stories about people getting reactions on their faces from renting out mouthpieces used by others with infections or illnesses. Plausible? Should I have them bring their own snorkling gear? I know Trunk Bay has an underwater trail, but since only my two eldest daughters and husband know how to swim, I'm a little anxious. How long does the trail stretch and how deep is the water?

Another thing is that I keep reading about the time it takes to get to Trunk Bay from St. Thomas. Some say it takes 15 minutes, others say an hour and a half. What's the real time frame that I should be looking at here?

penny3333 09-08-2006 12:33 PM

It takes a little longer to go from Charolette Amolie than from Red Hook, but Charolette is closer to where the ship docks. There is a place on Trunk Bay to rent snorkeling equipment. The trail is approximately 50 yards from the shore and encompasses approximately 100 yards. It is in water ranging from 15-20 feet, maybe 30, but it's not deep. It looks like you can touch bottom because it is so clear. The water is calm and warm (unless there's a storm). If you're worried about a rash, since they do use disinfectant, then I would suggest bringing your own. Personally, I've never had any trouble with rental equipment, but I guess some people could be allergic to the disinfectant they use. I now have my own equipment, but we snorkel a lot. The ferry only takes about 30 minutes, and the cab ride takes about 15-20 more. It is WELL worth the travel, even if you just play in the water and lounge on the beach. It is absolutely beautiful. Be sure to take a camera for some breath-taking pictures. Have a wonderful cruise!

tanyababanya 09-08-2006 03:33 PM

Thanks for all your advice penny. Seems like we have almost everything we need now. It's our first cruise so sorry for all the questions. You all are a great help though. Just a few more months and we can't wait to leave.

wise2u 09-12-2006 10:06 PM

Hi, trunk bay is a must see. there is a lifeguard there and if you can swim even at a moderate level you can snorkel. you can even learn in the shallows if you cant swim well. snorkeling is more floating on top, breathing through a tube, than swimming. the air in the mask and the salt water makes it easier to float. I'd rent first to see if you can enjoy it and then buy your own gear. you can get "dry snorkels" which have a valve on top to keep water from coming in and unless you need a prescription mask (like me) it really doesnt cost much to get decent gear from a company like USDIVERS..it pays for itself after a few times not paying the rental fee. Most rental places wash thier gear with a mild bleach solution, but with shore excursions coming one after another i could see a few germs getting by. If you stand close by when a shore excursion group comes in you can probably listen in to instructions for beginners. the main thing is to try to stay on the surface if you kick up the sand it makes it harder to see, and standing on coral can scrape you and will kill the coral, you just want to float above and around it....Have fun!

tanyababanya 09-13-2006 04:35 PM

Thanks you Wise2U. One of my daughters wants to go snorkling, and I'm sure she'll use this advice. I heard from everybody, specially SonnyV and Penny that it's beautiful at Trunk Bay. Even though I might not go snorkling I want to see the beach. Thank you again.
-Tanya

Sonny V 09-13-2006 07:41 PM

Hello again, If you like snorkeling I would recommend buying your own mask and snorkel. That way your mask will fit and the snorkel isn't in hundreds of other mouths. I rent swim fins because they're too much of a hassle to carry around. I've had my mask and snorkel for about 7 years.

Dwayne 09-14-2006 03:50 AM

Most excellent advice from Sonny and Penny.

I have always said and still believe this is a Must Do also. I don't always suggest it to first timers because of the logistics of getting there. I think they should explore St. Thomas first, then St. John on their next visit. Is just my thinking of learning each island http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif

penny3333 09-14-2006 09:24 AM

That's true IslandCruz, every ship seems to stop in St. Thomas. This is just my opinion, but, St. Thomas is not as nice as it used to be years ago. It's still pretty, but when I first went there 35 years ago, it was beautiful. The beaches were totally awesome, clean, not crowded and the shops were unique and there were great deals. I know everything changes in that amount of time, but now, I'd much rather go to St. John. I also enjoy St. Croix, but very few ships visit there. There are still some great places in St. Thomas, but I should be a poster lady http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...on_biggrin.gif for Trunk Bay--totally awesome. Best wishes!

tanyababanya 09-14-2006 09:26 PM

Once again, great advice from everyone. I get what you're saying IslandCruz, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Trunk Bay. I'm sure there are plenty of great things in both islands, but I want to see Trunk Bay before it also becomes "not as nice as it used to be" as penny3333 says of St. Thomas.

SonnyV, where did you buy your snorkel and mask?