Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 10:44 AM

Set for Carnival Victory end of Feb.
Wanted to do both Stingray Sandbar and 7 mile beach break. When looking at a generic itinerary "view excursions" for Cayman there is the Cayman 7mile beach break where you make your own way @ $4 pp each way to Beach Club Colony Hotel. Does that mean get a cab there and back?! How far is that hotel from the port?

Then there's the 7mile beach break with transportation to Sea Grape Beach but the description leads me to believe that the guide picks you up, takes you there and after 3.5 hrs he brings you back to the ship - no constant transportation.

Also, what's the difference between the "Stingray City Tour" and the "Stingray Sandbar Tour"? Both descriptions say sandbar 3-5' of water which is what I hear is best. My personal itinerary only lists the Stingray City Tour, not the Sandbar Tour.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:08 PM

Both are the same thing. The sandbar is where the stingrays gather and yes, it varies from a couple of feet to neck deep. Of course you can go into deeper water, but there is plenty of area where you can easily stand.

The Stingray City may just be the name that particular tour company gives that tour but they all go to the same place.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-23-2007, 09:11 PM

I book my own fun when cruising. Grand Cayman is a hoot. The stingray swim is great fun and book your own with http://www.sotoscruises.com/ they meet you near the ship and take you to their boat.
Buses run from downtown to the turtle farm and cost like $2.75. The farm cost $6.00. You get to pick up sea turtles. I'm sure after you swim with the rays you can bus to 7-mile to finish off the day. Don't be so dependant on what the ship offers. Use the ship excursion list as a guide to follow when researching fun at various ports.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:16 PM

Swimming with the stingrays is a must if you haven't done it before. We use Captain Marvin's for the stingray tour. About $40 per person.

Sonny
Old 09-25-2007, 01:13 AM

Although it is a lot cheaper to go out on your own. The advantage of going with the ships excursions is just this one thing. If you are late getting back to the ship, it won't leave you. On your own, it will. We used to go on our own but as we got older we changed. Felt safer. On Roatan we went on ship tour and would have been left as we ended up on a muddy road and got back late about 30 minutes. The tour guide was in constant touch with the ship. Happy we did the ship excursion that day.
Sherry

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 09-27-2007, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Also, what's the difference between the "Stingray City Tour" and the "Stingray Sandbar Tour"? Both descriptions say sandbar 3-5' of water which is what I hear is best. My personal itinerary only lists the Stingray City Tour, not the Sandbar Tour.
If you go to swim with the sting rays be aware that there are two different tours available (most likely the ship will offer only one). The boat can either anchor in deeper water where you use a life vest & snorkel to view the rays or my favorite is to anchor in the shallower sand bar area & walk around to feed them. It makes it much easier take pictures & they are much closer even if you don't feed them. We've been on private tours where they incorporate both stops but a ships tour with lots of people won't allow it since it takes to much time to unload & load everyone.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:57 PM

While in Grand Cayman last December on ROS, my family and I took the early snorkeling tour that also stopped at the sandbar to see the stingrays. After returning to the port, we took a separate taxi to 7 mile beach. The Beach Club Colony Hotel wasn't the nicest area of the beach. I would try a different one.

Good luck.

Closed Thread