Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
ere
Maho Beach was on the opposite side of the island from Orient beach. As someone said it's not as nice as Orient beach but I wanted to see the planes taking off & landing so we first rented a motorbike & proceeded to Orient for a few hours & then toured the Island which gets crowded during the day. We wound up at Maho beach for a few hours which was an experience to have an airbus landing a few hundred feet over your head. The beach sits high near the road & drops off suddenly as you enter the water. There's a bar that serves food although we didn't get much except a couple of beers. If you do go there leave plenty of time to get back to the ship- although it's not really that far a trip the traffic at 3 PM gets heavy as you enter town due to construction which has been going on for years.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:30 PM
This is looking towards the north end of Orient Beach. The clothing optional part is on the southern end of the beach. Although, the only persons walking around without clothing, I saw, were at least over 65 years old! So, anyone excited about what they will see on the south end of Orient Beach, will sorely be dissapointed.

As you walk across the border that separates the northern "textile" section into the southern "clothing-optional" section of Orient Beach, there will be prominent warning signs. They also have signs saying cameras, camcorders, and cellphones w/cameras are prohibited in that clothing optional section. And you would really not have a reason to take a picture (considering the average age of those clothing optional participants).

I got to Orient beach via a taxi-van, which I picked-up at the taxi stand within walking distance of the cruiseship. The water-taxi pier is also nearby. But I think the water taxi's sole purpose is to ferry the cruise passengers from the cruise ship dock to the heart of downtown Phillipsburg (and no where else). I went on the taxi-van with other cruise ship passengers I did not meet before. So, they charged me only around $14 (the price going there alone would have been higher). The trip there wasn't pleasant IMHO. The middle of the island appears impoverished and the road there reflected that. So it was a long and sometimes bumpy ride, IMHO. But it was nice once I got there. The beach was beautiful.

And once it was time for me to head back, the same taxi vans were waiting eagerly in the parking lot near Orient Beach. Once again, I rode back to Phillipsburg with some strangers (passengers on another cruise ship) and saved money once again.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Frase was the $14.00 round trip or one way? That was the price because there were more passengers? Still sounds like they make out taking a van full of passengers to the beach for $14.00 a head. We can add to our morning sightseeing tour through portpromotions.com for $28.00 which is transportation to the beach and back and a buffet lunch and 2 drinks. Trying to decide if that is the way to go or just catch a taxi. Rental cars are an option but no one has commented on that. Has anyone done a tour through www.portpromotions.com ?

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 11-03-2007, 10:55 PM
SanDee:

I believe that $14 was the price, each way. I know it was at least around $10. And yes, that was because I shared the ride with other passengers. I think they only charge a higher price if you travel alone in the van.

That portpromotions deal sounds good if it includes food. Depending on how good the food is.

IMHO, I am not sure if I would rent a car, after seeing the middle of the island (which I already described).
Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 AM

We have often used taxis to Orient Beach (they organize the taxis at the port so most are full and the price is about $14) and we have also rented cars. I do not recommend renting a car if your only goal is to go to Orient Beach (or any other beach) and perhaps spend some time shopping. We often take a taxi to the beach, than have a taxi drop us in town on the way back (you can get the water taxi from town back to the ship). Renting a car only makes sense if you want to explore the entire island. It is fun to drive the entire way around stopping at some beaches, Marigot, etc.

Hank
Old 11-06-2007, 09:27 PM

We were in St. Maarten last week and rented ATV's. We rode all around the island. It was a blast, and only cost us $65.

Sonny
Old 11-07-2007, 02:55 AM

SonnyV, we had scooters but next time we'll get ATV's. We're they two seaters? Did you make it to Maho Beach to check out the landing planes?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:26 PM

Orient is one of the best beaches in the Caribbean. We went there on our cruise earlier this month, and it cost $6 per person from the pier. Ask to go to Cacao Beach (one of the many beaches at Orient) - cushioned lounges and waiter service for food and drinks! Say hello to Cedrick!

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, beaches, boat, bus, cruise, florida, free, maarten, martin, orient, port, san, st, things, transportation, utube