Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 07:27 AM

We plan on renting a car during our pre-cruise stay in San Juan. We plan to drive to El Yunque and spend most of the day there. If we get back early enough, and want to drive to other places (Old San Juan, maybe), is there generally public parking available? Is it expensive?

What about places other than Old San Juan?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:21 AM

This is really Cassanova Frankenstein's question, but I can't resist. Parking in Old San Juan , sort of like parking in New York City. I forget where y'all are staying, but I'd suggest parking at the hotel and taking a bus, cab, or trolly down to Old San Juan. It's hard enough dodging the cars while you're walking on the sidewalks there. I'm not trying to scare you, but you'll see what I mean once you get there. I don't think there is a vehicle in San Juan that has brakes, just horns and an accelerator pedal. Seriously, though, it would be easier to walk if you're close enough or take the bus. Maybe CF knows of a secret parking lot.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:51 PM

good to know

we are at the embassy suites - not sure how far that is from old san juan, but i dont think its too bad...i just didnt want to waste the car rental if we finished with the forest early
Old 03-28-2008, 10:43 AM

There is a parking lot located near the old San Juan ship terminal but I couldn't tell you how much they charge. It's a multi level parking garage.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
This is really Cassanova Frankenstein's question, but I can't resist. Parking in Old San Juan , sort of like parking in New York City. I forget where y'all are staying, but I'd suggest parking at the hotel and taking a bus, cab, or trolly down to Old San Juan. It's hard enough dodging the cars while you're walking on the sidewalks there. I'm not trying to scare you, but you'll see what I mean once you get there. I don't think there is a vehicle in San Juan that has brakes, just horns and an accelerator pedal. Seriously, though, it would be easier to walk if you're close enough or take the bus. Maybe CF knows of a secret parking lot.
Can't say it better that's San Juan

Ok here is the deal
mostly Old San Juan is for walking and there are streets where you cannot drive and that are close to any transportation beside the special "trolleys" the goverment provide for all I know is difficult to find a free parking, even on Carnival Destiny terminal...

Here is some info I found on one of our tour sites:

"Here are some basics to consider before you get started.

You will be walking around an old city in the tropics - it is very hot and usually humid. Wear sun screen and a hat! You may even consider carrying an umbrella for shade. Bring water, or plan to stop often to make sure that you stay hydrated. This city is on a hill - so you will be walking uphill and downhill throughout your visit. Also, many of the streets are cobblestone, and the sidewalks are uneven, so wear comfortable, sturdy shoes.

Old San Juan is a safe place to walk around. You will notice a large Police presence. They’re there to help you feel safe, not because of any particular recent “problem”. This bilingual Police force (specially trained for the Old San Juan tourist area) will help guide you on your way. If you’re lost or need directions, just ask. At night, you have to use common sense, but if you stay in the tourist areas, all is well.

Inexpensive parking is available in Old San Juan, luckily in easy to get to locations. There are 2 parking decks on the south side of the city - on Recinto Sur. There is also a parking lot past these deck, at la Puntilla (this is very inexpensive). The parking deck on the North shore of Old San Juan is under the Ballaja building, just off of Norzagaray Street. It is a smaller lot, and the only one on that side of the city.

If you are not comfortable with a lot of walking, there are free trolleys available that will take you around the old city."

I hope this help...

Also this link have some info on old San Juan tours;

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/20...an-basic-info/

I don't know if posting this site is against the rules, but I found quite a good info on it, if that's the case please just let me know to remove it.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:03 PM
We spent 3 glorious days in Old San Juan before our cruise. So much to see and do. The people are so nice. We visited both forts and that alone is a day. Grab the free trolly that takes you from one to the other. Then the walk around the La Princesa and seeing the gate was very interesting and such a lovely walk. The streets remind me of San Francisco with up and down hills. I had a good work out on the legs. I saw the locals struggle with driving the tiny streets and I sure wouldn't attempt it. Everything is in walking distance anyway. Hop the ferry on peir 2 for 25 cents and grab a taxi for $6.00 to take you to the Barcardi Rum factory is fun too....good free rum drinks. Only thing I was warned to stay away from was the cemetary as they had some ruff people that hang out there. The rest of the town I felt very safe and had a marvelous time. If you love history Old San Juan will delight you. A kids dream to explore the old forts with the nooks and crannys everywhere.
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 04-01-2008, 07:48 AM

good info - thanks guys

Closed Thread

Tags
ballaja, deck, juan, la, lot, lots, parking, peir, port, pr, public, puerto, puntilla, rico, san