Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2006, 08:18 PM

We will be in Nassau and Coco Cay: Is the phone system the same in the Bahamas as in the U.S. I want to call a couple places on Nassau regarding shore excursions (not through the cruise line). Can I dial 1 then their phone number or are there additional numbers that have to be dialed like other international calls? I understand that the money exchange is the same, so U.S. money can be used in Nassau and Coco Cay. Is that correct? Would I be better off having travelers checks? I don't want to charge small expenditures on the island so would like to carry some cash with me. Is that a good idea or not?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:13 AM

To call from the US to the Bahamas it's 011+242+local number. In the Bahamas on a local phone, it's just the phone number. Traveler's checks are fine since you don't want to carry too much cash on you. We usually take $100 in cash, but not in a wallet. We either keep it in our pockets or we have a waterproof pouch that we wear around our necks. Hope this helps and have a wonderful cruise!
Old 05-23-2006, 07:18 AM
Administrator

U.S. currency is taken everywhere in Nassau. Bear in mind that Coco Cay is a very small island owned by RCCL. I think it is 120 acres or something like that, mostly sand and scrub land. No infrastructure and just a handful of RCCL employees to maintain the place. Purchases will be made using your cruise card. But there is a small market where locals from nearby islands set up stalls to sell t-shirts and such. They take dollars, and change can be hard to come by so bring small bills.

Closed Thread