Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2006, 09:59 AM

Does anyone have any comments on Progreso..they have just changed 1 of our ports to Progreso...does anyone have any feed back or what to do in Progreso

Edit: Moved to Caribbean Port Chat. RF

Old 03-01-2006, 10:23 AM
we to will be visiting progresso in april on carnival I found these sites which tell you a little about it also go to carnvals page and go to the tours they have lots of information on what they offer in progreso the beach break looks to be the best as we are not into rodeos

http://www.riorvpark.com/DaTrProgreso.htm
http://southtexastourism.com/Progresso.html
Old 03-01-2006, 11:34 AM

I hear their chicken rice soup is good.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kelsee:
Does anyone have any comments on Progreso..they have just changed 1 of our ports to Progreso...does anyone have any feed back or what to do in Progreso

Edit: Moved to Caribbean Port Chat. RF
I would go to the Mayan Ruins- Dzibilchaltun. I would NOT take a bus into Merida, no no no I would NOT. I am not a fan of Progreso... but on my last cruise there half of my party went to Dzibilchaltun and they said it was mind blowing. They took a Carnival tour that included swimming in a little lake there. The pictures they took are absolutely stunning.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:55 AM

I know alot of people on this site really dislike progresso and I admit there wasn't much there but I liked it. I liked the picture of the true culture there, even the run down areas. It wasn't over run by tourism. We found a little straw market and bought jewrly, mexican hats etc. for less than half of what people were paying in Cozumel. The little restaurant at the end of the dock had free drinks if you paid for the beach excursion(pretty cheap too) there was NO limit on drinks and chips and salsa came with it. They were excellent. It was raining the day we were there and everyone danced to a band and drank and ate chips all day. It was actually quite relaxing and alot of fun!
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 03-25-2006, 09:33 AM

When we stopped in Progresso, we thought we could just explore on our own, bad idea!. Instead, we took a trip to a resort on the beach. The company that was chartered by Carnival to bus passengers from the pier into town offers side trips. For $25 each, we got a bus ride to a beautiful secluded resort on the beach. All drinks were free at the pool side bar. On the bus ride, we stopped at a small Mayan ruins and pyramid, and another stop to see thousands of flamingos. The woman who guided the bus tour, also sold coronas for $.50. Overall, if you can so this tour, it is an absolute steal for $25!
Old 04-02-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by djegators:
When we stopped in Progresso, we thought we could just explore on our own, bad idea!. Instead, we took a trip to a resort on the beach. The company that was chartered by Carnival to bus passengers from the pier into town offers side trips. For $25 each, we got a bus ride to a beautiful secluded resort on the beach. All drinks were free at the pool side bar. On the bus ride, we stopped at a small Mayan ruins and pyramid, and another stop to see thousands of flamingos. The woman who guided the bus tour, also sold coronas for $.50. Overall, if you can so this tour, it is an absolute steal for $25!
------------------------------------------------

Did this tour have a name? It sounds just what we are looking for. Am I understanding correctly, you booked this tour through Carnival? What time did it start and end? Want to make sure we have plenty of time. Thank you for any information you can give.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:57 PM

Sorry I did not reply sooner. No, we did not book this tour through Carnival. Carnival charters this group to bus passengers from the ship to Progresso. The pier in Progresso is very very long, and they do not let walk it or anything. The shuttles are required. The company that runs the shuttles offers the side trips to earn extra money. If it is the same as when we were there (Apr '04) then you will be able to get this side trip once you reach Progresso.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:10 AM

It sounds like something that we would like to do. Thank you, we will check into it when we get there.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:28 PM

My husband and I were supposed to go to Belize, Honduras, Cancun & Cozumel last October but Hurricane Wilma did a number on all of them so all ports were cancelled the day we got on the ship (NCL Dream). We ended up in Progreso and we loved it. The pier is very long but there ARE new shops, tiki hut bar w/ sand volleyball and pool right there where you get off the ship. The pier is so clean and looks like it was built just yesterday. The pier's closed to the public so it's only the people from the ship you would see. The shops WILL let you bargin and we wish we had shopped there MORE when we found out we were heading to Veracruz. Veracruz was pitiful and I would not recommend it at all.

Closed Thread

Tags
bar, bars, beach, beaches, dock, fishing, mexico, mx, port, progreso, progresso, public