Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2006, 04:38 PM

My family and I are booked on the Westerdam in November for the western Caribbean. We're scheduled to stop at Grand Turk, and I understand there's some new Carnival-funded "Cruise Port" there where the ship docks.

They mention a large pool and white sand beach that can be used. Is there a charge for this? For relaxation is it worth getting off the ship and spending time there, or is it better to stay on the ship?

Or better yet... does anyone know of interesting side trips / excursions in Grand Turk?

Thanks for the input!!
Old 06-19-2006, 05:15 PM
We'll be there Oct 30. I'll have info when I get back on the 4th. Can you wait that long? I think we are going to go to town (not sure how yet, but I'm sure there will be taxis or shuttles or buses of some kind) in the morning, just to walk around and see the town. We'll come back for lunch on board, then do the beach that's by the cruise center. It's my understanding that there is no charge for either the beach or the pool at the cruise center.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SSUS_NJ:
My family and I are booked on the Westerdam in November for the western Caribbean. We're scheduled to stop at Grand Turk, and I understand there's some new Carnival-funded "Cruise Port" there where the ship docks.

They mention a large pool and white sand beach that can be used. Is there a charge for this? For relaxation is it worth getting off the ship and spending time there, or is it better to stay on the ship?

Or better yet... does anyone know of interesting side trips / excursions in Grand Turk?

Thanks for the input!!
Hi! Honestly, you must get off the ship in Turks -- the beaches are among the finest, as well as pristine in the world! Only recently have cruise ships added this "new" destination to their itineraries (since "we've" already screwed up so many of the Caribbean islands, as a result of taxing the infrastructure, resources, etc., etc.) Ergo, my professional advice would be to jump-ship and have a glorious beach day -- pass on the line's offering of a half-day at the beach, grab a taxi and enjoy!! (I promise, you will be glad you did).
Best,
Richard
Old 06-20-2006, 08:49 AM

Here's a website that might help: http://grandturkcc.com We wont be there until Christmas, so please let me know if you do any snorkeling there. Who you booked with and how it was. Thank you. Best wishes and have a wonderful cruise!!
Old 06-20-2006, 04:13 PM

To all:

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm keeping an open mind as to what to do in Grand Turk. We're sailing on Nov. 5th, returning the 12th. I'll be sure to post any info.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:07 PM

I will be there the end of July, Crown Princess. As a diver, I will definitely be diving there!!! There is a stingray encounter that I believe will be as good as Grand Cayman. Governer's beach is excellent. The town is small, but an interesting place to visit if you like to explore the culture of the islands you visit.
The tour "minibus" hop on/off is $39 per person, but you can explore the whole island. Taxi service is $5.00 per person each way. They don't have car rental service or public bus from the port terminal to town yet.
Hope that offers you some tips.
Jim
Old 06-29-2006, 11:57 AM

You lucky dog!! I only wish my departure was so close!

Have fun diving, and be sure to report back if you can!

Caribbean Resort Guide
Old 07-03-2006, 08:35 AM

I was checking on the grandturkcc website, and it states the Legend will be there for 2 dates in Jan.07, But I cannot find it on the Carnival website. Does anyone know if one site is more up to date than the other? This is a port I am very interested in going to.

Dayna
Old 07-03-2006, 09:49 AM

To whom it may concern: I worked on the Elation not too long ago and Grand Turk was a port of call. It wasn't an exciting port but the water there is unreal. Crystal clear and blue. Margaritaville is where most people go and that is right near the pier. Unfortunately, it is very expensive. No cover charge, but the food and drinks, as good as they are, are quite pricey. There's a dj, who is rather entertaining, near the pool of Margaritaville who gets the crowd involved with fun activities. Again, it is entertaining, just expensive. There are a couple of small shops right off the pier as well, but nothing spectacular. There is one excursion where a bus equipped with a knowledgable tour guide takes you around the whole island. Very informative. Another plus was that the weather was always cooperative when we docked. The view of Grand Turk from any open deck is awesome. I hope this helps whomever!
P.s. Don't let the title of 'new cruiser' fool you.I didn't follow directions signing up and that's the title they pinned on me. I've been working for Carnival for 3 years and have been on a lot of excursions.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:49 PM

Thanks Robbie!! By the way... is there a charge to use the pool at Margaritaville? ... or the beach that's supposedly nearby?

Marty

Closed Thread

Tags
cab, call, car, coordinates, cruise, day, forums, gran, grand, pass, port, rental, service, ship, turk, turks