Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 03:05 PM

I am contemplating the idea of renting a scooter (moped) during my visit to Roatan. However, my wife says is not a good idea because it could be "too dangerous". Does anyone has any experiences? How "crazy" is the traffic in Roatan? Are roads in good conditions and road signs plentiful? I appreciate you sharing your comments and/or experiences.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Don't do it.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:14 PM

Thank you for your reply Dave, but, can you please be a little more specific...???
Old 10-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator

I didn't want to repeat what your wife said! But I will. The roads are poor to lousy. Road signs are inconsistent and poorly placed. As with most islands, the local drivers "know the rules of the road" but visitors won't and you can easily find yourself in a bad situation. Honduras, which includes Roatan, is a third world country. It is foolish for anyone to try to "go their own way" in this place unless they are VERY familiar with the territory. And so I say again.....listen to your wife!

Old 10-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Andy,

Read this article.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:34 AM

I will second Dave's advice. The only island I would even consider renting a scooter on would be Key West. And still would not recommend it. Listen to the Wife.

Dwayne
Old 10-25-2007, 09:33 AM

Scooter rental is discouraged for all ports by the cruise director themselves. For the reason Dave stated. I have riden motorocycles all my life and I wouldn't do it. We have neighbors that live down the street that went on a cruise and rented mopeds in Jamiaca. They got into a very bad wreck and the wife had to be medivac'ed back to the states. It just is not worth it. If you want to do something motorized, try the dune buggy or 4x4 tours that are set up. They are a lot safer (more $$ but not as risky as they are guide led)
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 10-25-2007, 03:45 PM

Thanks to all for your comments, recommendations and information. I guess I rather play it safe while in Roatan, and move around by taxi cab. I guess the wife was right on this one...AGAIN!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 05:46 PM

Grab a taxi in Roatan and head to West bay Beach.....the most amazing, beautiful, and exotic beach I have enjoyed in any port thus far! We grabbed a taxi at the end of the pier and he took us there, enroute he gave us a little "island tour" and stopped for photo ops along the way. He was a great taxi driver. He arranged a time and meeting place for us to meet up with him once we were done with our beach day, and he got us back to the ship. We did not pay him until he got us back to the ship. I believe it was $20 per person for the taxi ride, and it was about a 25 min. ride.....well worth it!! My husband was in heaven with $1 cold beers readily available, and we just happened to have found two lounge chairs next to a little hut that was making "fresh" pina colada's, we even watched them cut the coconuts in half and scoop them out. Amazing!!

Closed Thread

Tags
buggies, buggy, dune, hire, honduras, moped, mopeds, rent, rental, rentals, renting, roatan, scooter, scooters, worth