Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 07:27 AM

All good points coprgeorge. I have always listed on comment cards for cruises stopping in Jamaica that the cruise line needs to find another port.

There is just not that many for the cruise lines to choose from for "western caribbean" itineraries. So Jamaica is used. Doubling up days isn't a good way to solve it as many people want as many different ports as possible.
I'm sure that the Jamaican goverment offers incentives for the cruise lines to stop there in attempt to keep the money flow coming in (reduced docking fees/taxes).

And there ARE some people that like Jamaica. Saying its a complete waste of time is probably a bit too harsh. It is a beautiful place if you can get past the begging and harassment. Its just that those of us who have been there and have seen the worth while attractions have no desire to deal with the hassle to see the same things again.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 11-15-2007, 10:06 AM

Thanks everyone after listening to your advice once we reach the ship we will just stay onboard and relax round the pool we have plenty of other beautiful places to see has we are on a fourteen day cruise only 2 days to go yipee
Old 11-20-2007, 09:11 AM

I don't see what would be so bad about taking a taxi from the ship to Doctor's Cove beach. Maybe the shopping areas are a hassle, but Jamaica is just too beautiful to stay on the ship.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:39 AM

The last time I stopped in Ochos Rios, I noticed several "kodiac" style boats zipping around the bay. I knew what hotel I wanted to go to. I asked one of the guys to run us up to the beach, we climbed down onto the boat, and zoom onto the beach. No town hassle, a beautiful priavte beach with excellent service. I know, not for everyone, risks are involved, but I offered the guy more to pick up us back up, and zoom he was there at exactly the time we wanted. Back to the ship, no pier to walk, and a beautiful day !!
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 11-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Never heard of kodiac. Do you mean zodiac?

Old 11-20-2007, 05:02 PM
I have been to MB only once and I have only wonderful memories! There were 13 of us and we planned a day at Sunset Beach Resorts. We walked into the terminal and a woman approached us and asked where we would like to go and how many. She hailed a new van with a wonderful driver to drive us the very short (maybe 1 mile) drive to the resort. We could see the ship from the beach. Normally many would walk it but I guess not there.
At the time the cost was $20.00 adults and $10.00 children but I have heard it has doubled since they put in the water park. The cost included the use of the beach, chairs, all non motorized watercrafts, all the drinks including alchohol and all the food you want. They also have swim up bars and very nice pools. We had a marvalous day. We arranged for our driver to pick us up at 2pm and when we came out, there he was! We were not harassed once. Check out the resort at www.sunsetbeachresort.com I would not hesitate to go back next time I am there. It would be ashamed to pass up such a great beach day.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:06 AM

LOL....Dave, thanks for the correction.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010
Old 12-13-2007, 11:36 PM

I'd like some ideas on what would be safe and fun for a family with teens when our ship docks in Montego Bay. We haven't been there before, so we'd like to get off the ship. However, we want to be safe.
A relative, who cruised there, told us that a couple on their ship got in a cab and were taken out to the boondocks, robbed and left there to walk back.

Any suggestions on safe transportation (taxi company?) and safe locations to see on our own?
Also would appreciate recommendations from those who have been on Royal Caribbean excursions from Montego Bay. Are any of their excursions good? (We've got some Bob Marley fans, would the excursion that goes to the Bob Marley center be worthwhile or is it just another shopping hustle?)
How long is it to Dunn's River Falls and is there a safe tour company to take us? We heard that is a "must see", but don't know if it would be boring for teens.

Thanks for any suggestions or information, for first-time visitors, from any of you who've been there and done that already!
Old 12-14-2007, 06:18 AM

I think we're landing at Ocho Rios and not Mo Bay for starters. The trip from Ocho Rios to Dunn's River Falls isn't that far away. If you decide to take your own cab to the falls make sure you know the price before you get in the cab or they'll be demanding more money from you at the end of the trip. We were once there & an elderly couple took a cab to the Taj Mahal Shopping Center (we walked) which was 3/4 mile away & were charged $25 with the threat of calling the police if they didn't pay up.
At the falls I think you have to have a guide (again discuss they fee before starting). We've never done the falls on our own- always with a ships tour. If you go by cab to the falls you'll be entering & leaving from the top of the falls where a gauntlet of shops are located. After the climb (you depart mid way) you exit past the shops (there's no other way around) & that's where the hassling begins. The shop owners will fight over each customer like a pack of hungry dogs & won't let you go until you buy something from them. If you go on a ship tour, they used to go by boat to the bottom of the falls, then walk up the mid-point & return to the waiting boat by-passing the shops. There are no shops between. In any event be prepared to be hassled by anyone no matter where you go.
If we land at Mo Bay there's nothing close except a shopping area close to the ship & you'll have to do a tour or take a cab to see anything. The island does have it's beauty but unfortunitly it has many slum areas along with the high crime rate due to the poverty. Most of the locals are decent people who are only trying to make a living but there are a small miniority who give Jamaica a bad rap.
My suggestion is to deceide from the tour book where to go & stick whth a ships tour to avoid any hassle.

Closed Thread

Tags
bay, boat, carnival, cruise, empress, fee, jamacia, jamaica, montego, resort, safe, seas, ship, staying, sunset