Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2007, 01:39 PM

Wondering what to do and what weather at these Islands .... Never been there.. Thank you
Old 02-15-2007, 03:53 PM

Well, I have been to Catalina Island several times, having grown up in Long Beach area. Out of all the stuff I have done on Catalina Island, I enjoyed the Island tour that takes you to the high point of the island where the airport is. We saw several buffalo. The drive was very pretty. You can see everything from the top of the island. There aren't many shops in Catalina, so shopping won't take to long. There is a momument on the island you can hike/walk up to. It is ok to do once. The view is MUCH better on the island tour to the airport. The beach is VERY small, with tons of boats/yachts anchored off the beach. We also did a "whale watching tour", didn't see any whales, and it was freezing, we went during january. Depending on when you go you might need a light jacket. You can also rent golf carts, located right where you line up to wait for the tender. Hope this helps Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-16-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Lori:
Well, I have been to Catalina Island several times, having grown up in Long Beach area. Out of all the stuff I have done on Catalina Island, I enjoyed the Island tour that takes you to the high point of the island where the airport is. We saw several buffalo. The drive was very pretty. You can see everything from the top of the island. There aren't many shops in Catalina, so shopping won't take to long. There is a momument on the island you can hike/walk up to. It is ok to do once. The view is MUCH better on the island tour to the airport. The beach is VERY small, with tons of boats/yachts anchored off the beach. We also did a "whale watching tour", didn't see any whales, and it was freezing, we went during january. Depending on when you go you might need a light jacket. You can also rent golf carts, located right where you line up to wait for the tender. Hope this helps Lil' Lori
Actually this is Catalina Island off the coast of the Dominican Republic.

It is a 45 minute ride to a secluded beach. If you go to the top deck, remember you will be in the sun for the duration of the ride.

If you enjoy the beach this will be great for you. You might want to bring your own water but I believe they have cocktails available and I know for sure they have the local beers. Presidente and Cerveza Bohemia.

There are local artisans who will try to lure you to their shops with free trinkets. They seem tame enough.

Intense sun, plenty of sand and water. Nice beach and good transportation.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:44 PM

Oops! Now you have everything you need to know if you go to Catalina Island, off California. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Don't feel alone, Lil' Lori--I almost answered the same way. I grew up in Manhattan Beach (CA) and there's only one Catalina Island as far as I'm concerned.

It's the Casa de Campo that threw me.

I think maybe the Big White Steamship had more of an influence on me than I realized.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:05 PM

Now I am intrigued about Catalina Island that I had always heard about on trips to LA. Thanks, Lori! I'm afraid the Dominican version doesn't have so much to it, except nice beach.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Just to add a little to what Lil' Lori said,
the sport fishing around Catalina is great and the water is great for scuba/snorkel--very clear--and very cold; wet suit required! Great hiking; great biking; real village atmosphere.
Lots of good B and B's.

Closed Thread

Tags
campo, casa, casas, catalina, cruise, de, dr, en, forum, island, port, review, reviews, tour, tours