Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2007, 09:14 AM

OK, I've read how everyone LOVES swimming with the stingrays, and we would love to try it, but it states that you can't wear any sunscreen! Is this really true? If so, how do you not get horribly sunburned? We have fair skin and even though we have been outside a LOT building up a base tan, I know we will burn in the Caribbean sun.

Along these lines, has anyone done the stingray swimming in Nassau? Our choices are Pearl Island and Blackbeard's Cay. Thanks in advance!

Read and post cruise reviews
Carnival Glory 4/2007
Carnival Conquest 2/2004

Old 04-22-2007, 10:16 AM

We have swum with the rays in GC, and have always worn suncreen. Maybe they are wanting people to wear the biodegradable kind?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed ** the things that you didn't do than ** the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain

My cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old 04-22-2007, 01:28 PM

I wonder if it's just this one place. Here's the quote on Carnival's website:

"Please be aware due to the very sensitive nature of the stingrays, absolutely NO suntan lotion or jewelry can be worn in the water during this excursion."

But, the other stingray encounter at this port doesn't say that.

Carnival Glory 4/2007
Carnival Conquest 2/2004

Old 04-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Administrator

I don't ever recall being told we couldn't wear sunscreen, on any line. The only thing I recall is the tour operator not allowing anyone to wear water shoes or flippers. Everyone had to be barefoot.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:39 PM

OK, I'm glad to hear this. Not allowing sunscreen is one sure way to keep me from choosing that excursion! Plus, it's our FIRST stop! I could get burned and be MISERABLE for the whole rest of the cruise!

I'm going to reconsider doing this excursion now!

Carnival Glory 4/2007
Carnival Conquest 2/2004

Old 04-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Banned

musigal, in Grand Cayman we swam with the stingrays and many cruisers applied sunscreen while on route to the excursion site. Either this just applies to Nassau or Carnival has made some new adjustments. Have a great cruise. A'ndrea
Old 04-22-2007, 06:18 PM
musigal,

why don't you just take the other stingray encounter?

"...absolutely NO suntan lotion..." is pretty plain.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:22 PM

My family swears by swim shirts. DH hates sunscreen and hates sunburn, but he loves his swim shirt. I insist that the kids wear one in the water. It's hard to get two little boys to stand still while you slather them in sunscreen. They would rather put on the shirt and be gone. We got ours at Old Navy last year and I think they were about 12 dollars apiece.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by inman:
My family swears by swim shirts. DH hates sunscreen and hates sunburn, but he loves his swim shirt. I insist that the kids wear one in the water. It's hard to get two little boys to stand still while you slather them in sunscreen. They would rather put on the shirt and be gone. We got ours at Old Navy last year and I think they were about 12 dollars apiece.
great idea, Inman - duh, I never thought of that! I used to have to wear a shirt all the time when I was younger!
thanks!

Carnival Glory 4/2007
Carnival Conquest 2/2004

Old 04-23-2007, 03:17 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I don't think we're going to do it though - DH is a bit freaked out by the stingrays, lol! But maybe if I start talking now I can talk him into it by our next cruise!

Carnival Glory 4/2007
Carnival Conquest 2/2004

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cruise, lotion, royal, sunscreen, suntan