Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2006, 05:35 PM

-i want to go to Jamaica and its supposed to be so bad-should i bring my game boy or leave stuff like that behind? does stuff happen there? I really need to know from someone who has been there?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Jamaica isn't as bad as it is made out to be by some. But why would you want to carry a bunch of video games ashore? Leave them on the ship and focus on the country you are in!
Old 07-25-2006, 09:08 PM

I agree with Dave. Jamaicans are wonderful people. Many Americans find their culture far removed from their "comfort zone" and as such, find Jamaica threatening. Hey, just be yourself and avoid anyone offering you drugs and you will have a great time. Take the time to talk with some of the locals with an open mind and they will captivate you.

Have a great day in Jamaica!

Tom
Old 07-26-2006, 06:05 AM

Me and my Daughter (15) were in Jamaica in April 2006 - We had the best time. My daughter fell in love with the Jamaican People. We did a tour with Phil - (THE BEST) we went to Dunn's River Fall - Went white Water Tubing & took a Island Tour. (You must book a island tour to really enjoy Jamaica) - No matter what island we are going to we always book a tour - you just learn so much more about the island. We were never offered drugs - We never felt threaten - "DO NOT TAKE THE GAME BOY" - YOU SHOULD BE LEAVING THE GAME BOY AT HOME...
Old 07-26-2006, 06:20 AM

The Island is beautiful however it is a crime infested island and one should never travel outside of a tour. Drugs run rampant and my wife and I were them offered at Dunns River and we laughted it off. Many just keep trying to con you left and right. These things just don't seem to happen as often (if at all) on most other Islands. Next time to Jamacia, I'll just stay on the ship.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:17 AM

Jamaica is best viewed on an organized tour. It is a beautiful island, however, it is a very poor island. The people of Jamaica are friendly, but unemployment is very high. Leave you toys on board and enjoy a wonderful excursion. Best wishes!
Old 07-26-2006, 01:10 PM

Do not let what appears to be friendly people in Jamaica fool you or anyone. They are conniving scam artist who will smile at you while the other hand is in your back pocket. If this appears to be a harsh assessment, it is meant to be. It is an honest one of my experiences on this beautiful island. On the other hand, if you go to Bermuda, I would not hesitate to get in a car with a stranger for a ride.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by arckac:
Do not let what appears to be friendly people in Jamaica fool you or anyone. They are conniving scam artist who will smile at you while the other hand is in your back pocket. If this appears to be a harsh assessment, it is meant to be.
I guess it depends on the person and a person's comfort zone (as Tom noted). I have never felt threatened in Jamaica, nor I have felt the entire population was a bunch of conniving scam artists and pickpockets. We recently had a great time in Montego Bay. A co-worker stayed at Ocho for two weeks and loved it - and yes, he often ventured into town and didn't confine himself to the resort. I have a friend who owns two condos in Ocho and spends several weeks a year there.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by London:
-i want to go to Jamaica and its supposed to be so bad-should i bring my game boy or leave stuff like that behind? does stuff happen there? I really need to know from someone who has been there?
You might as well ask "is New York City dangerous; Los Angeles; Atlanta; etc., etc.?" - yea if you go to the wrong places at the wrong times and have your head up your behind! Even Smallville is "dangerous" if you do stupid things!

Old 07-26-2006, 05:58 PM

okay, so you mean that people are nice to you but then they try to scam you for all you've got? and someone said "stay in the tourist section only" that's true, right?

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, cruise, cruising, danger, dangerous, inland, jamaca, jamaica, port, ship, york