Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 09:05 AM

Is it possible to just grab a taxi at the port to go the the particular places in which we are interested? I want to see the rum cake place, turtle farm and snorkel. I really don't want to do a pre-arranged private tour or one of the ship's excurions. We will be in GC in March, 200; busy time, I'm sure.

Also, need recommendations for a location for inexperienced snorkelers. We are not interested in the sting rays, however.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 09:16 AM

Hi paigelee, welcome to Cruise-Chat. There are plenty of cabs waiting for you at the tender dock. Grand Cayman is very easy to get around on your own. There are some good snorkel sites near where you tender. We did a couple of snorkels there, but we did it through the ship. I believe there are some dive shops right there as well. We loved 7 mile beach, but did not snorkel there, just swam, walked and had a few drinks. It's an absolutely beautiful beach. Enjoy your cruise!
Old 09-18-2007, 06:41 PM

Penny,
Thanks for the reply. Since I'm considering not booking the tour with the cruise line and we will be in port on March 18th when I assume it will be VERY busy, I'm worried that there will be chaos if I'm not with an organized tour. However, we have found tours just waiting at other ports and taken them, but not during school breaks when the ports are so crowded. What time of year were you there?
Old 09-19-2007, 05:56 AM

We've been there over Thanksgiving break, Christmas break, October once, April once, and August once. April was the closest we came to spring break, however, we missed it by about a week, thank goodness. Grand Cayman is always busy, but I don't think you'll have any trouble getting around. They can move a great number of people quickly.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:58 AM

We are going to Grand Cayman this December and from what I've researched, it is a great place to snorkel on your own (if you don't want to see the stingrays...they are only accessible by boat). The site I have found most helpful is http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/Of...Snorkeling.htm We are planning to go to the Wreck of the Cali, Cheesburger Reef, and Cemetery Beach for a good variety of snorkeling all fairly close to port. Hope that helps!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:37 AM

mlsunshine-thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.
Paigelee
Old 09-23-2007, 08:01 PM

Hi, I highly recommend Grand Cayman on your own. Buses will take you from downtown to the Turtle farm for $2.75 And the farm is $6.00. Soto Cruises is great for swimming with the stingrays, which is great. They pick you up and take you to the boat. You will save a ton of money. Keep shopping to a minimum at Grand Cayman the exchange rate will hurt. Save shopping for Mexico. I always book my island fun thru the internet and not the ship. Use the ships list of excursions to guide your search for fun.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:06 AM

I am reconsidering the stingray excursion. Have been seeing it on TV and it looks like something my teenaged daughter would really like.

I agree that we can save a ton of money by not using the ships' excursions; however, I keep hearing these stories about "boats and vehicles break down and if you're on one not arranged by the cruiseline the ship won't wait".

I guess all of this research might be making things more complicated because I have done excursions on my own before and never considered these worries.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:53 PM

Don't forget to go to HELL! It a must visit; Hell? We did mail post cards from Hell to a few freinds, they loved the fact that we went on a cruise and ended up in HELL! Went to the Tortuga Rum Cake bakery and had a nice taste of some really good rum. We went to the Turtle Farm, where we held Sea Turtles. Hey, what the Hell?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paigelee:
Also, need recommendations for a location for inexperienced snorkelers. We are not interested in the sting rays, however.

Thanks
Abanks is close to the tender point and a short walk. They have snorkel gear rentals, and a nice little snorkeling area. To snorkel is free the last time I was there.

Click here. And then click location on bottom left.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
cali, caymen, grand, point, taxis, tender, wreck