Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 04:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by yourcontact:
Pier update - 4 Oct 06:

- Punta Langosta pier is now able to accept to ships docked alongside. It was re-opened by Mexican President Vicente Fox last week - you can see a story on this Cozumel vacation site. That said, no ships are docking this week and according to a local newspaper story today Carnival are refusing to send ships there as the pier owners have increased the fee by 50 cents per passenger.
That's just great. I don't think a 50 cent per passenger increase is unreasonable. What is that on average, around $1000 more per docking? If this story pans out, I think Carnival is being really cheap about it. What passenger wouldn't give up 50 cents to be able to dock rather than tender?
Old 10-06-2006, 09:36 AM

True Dave, I suspect it is just a negotiating tactic on the part of Carnival. The local company that owns Punta Langosta has also been criticized for trying to 'squeeze' more money out of the cruiselines. I suspect we will never know what is really going on until a final deal is struck. Meanwhile local businesses suffer as less cruise ships visit.

My instinct tells me they'll sort it out by December. I can't believe they can divert that many ships away from from Cozumel come the high season, and they sure won't won't to cancel them as then the cruise lines would lose even more money, so I reckon they'll still be coming here at the end of the day and what is happening now is just about haggling for the best deal.

Unfortunately Carnival is in a position of strength versus Cozumel...

Just to clarify what I said above - Puerta Maya is closed, but only for docking. Passengers can still tender in to Puerta Maya.

Ian
Old 10-06-2006, 10:50 AM

yourcontact,

Is Carnival possibly "boycotting" Cozumel right now in a way? We are heading out next week and are scheduled to dock in Cozumel on Oct 14. But this thread indicates that they seem to change the Coz stop to Progreso more than once for a "propulsion problem" before they even leave Galveston.

If this is a lame excuse given by Carnival that is in reality a boycott of Cozumel, I'll be done with cruising on Carnival...
Old 10-06-2006, 11:55 AM

Another consideration may be that too many passengers complained of having to be tendered in and that the port was not up to pre-hurricane standards. The cruise lines really do listen to people's complaints. If this board is any indication, I would wager they have heard a bodacious amount of complaining about Cozumel.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:04 AM

Well Dave, there is new news from the same local newspaper today.

Now they say that it has nothing to do with the 50 cents and that Carnival has no intention of boycotting Cozumel. They are continuing to tender rather than use Punta Langosta pier to dock at the moment due to prior agreements with the providers of the tendering service.

Also, special vessels will be arriving soon to clear the seabed and prepare for the reconstruction of Puerta Maya pier - seeing as this is owned by Carnival this seems like a pretty solid commitment to Cozumel.

I suspect the whole 'chance-of-boycott-over-50-cents-thing' was nothing more than over-excitement on the part of local media. I stand by my assertion that at the moment Carnival has to much of an economic interest here to change permanently to another port.

As for penny's bet that there has been a "bodacious amount" of complaints about Cozumel - I'd sure like to know where ... I don't see many on this chat board and I'm not hearing them here in Cozumel... on the contrary, the majority of vistors still love our island!

Ian
Old 10-07-2006, 08:56 PM

Hey Ian,

Thanks for posting the news. I am sure is not the same as my other visits, but I love the island and am looking forward to my visit in a few weeks.

Is getting close to the one year anniversary of Wilma. I was supposed to be on island then, but was re-routed. So I am past due for a visit!
Old 10-10-2006, 08:26 AM

You're welcome IslandCruz - hope you make it back here soon, there's a cold margarita waiting for you..!
Old 10-10-2006, 09:56 AM

I know our cruise last week was one with "propulsion" problems. I would have much rather gone to Cozumel than Progreso even with the tendering and remaining damage from the Hurricane!
Old 10-11-2006, 10:54 AM

Some good news for Carnival passengers: a story in a local newspaper today says that the operators of the Punta Langosta Pier and Carnival have reached an agreement (Carnival hadn't been using the pier since it re-opened 2 weeks ago).

The paper says that the pier has agreed to a fee reduction and the cruise line has agreed to increase passenger volumes as a quid pro quo.

This means Carnival will soon be docking at Punta Langosta and fewer passengers will need to tender.

I wouldn't like to speculate as to who got the best end of the bargain, the main thing is an agreement has been reached and thousands of Carnival passengers will soon be stepping off their ships onto Punta Langosta pier. This is also good as the pier is downtown, so hopefully economic benefits will flow to the local businesses in the centre - something that didn't happen when Carnival used their own pier several miles south of downtown.

You can see the full story in Spanish here .

Ian
Old 10-11-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by yourcontact:
Some good news for Carnival passengers: a story in a local newspaper today says that the operators of the Punta Langosta Pier and Carnival have reached an agreement (Carnival hadn't been using the pier since it re-opened 2 weeks ago).

The paper says that the pier has agreed to a fee reduction and the cruise line has agreed to increase passenger volumes as a quid pro quo.

This means Carnival will soon be docking at Punta Langosta and fewer passengers will need to tender.

I wouldn't like to speculate as to who got the best end of the bargain, the main thing is an agreement has been reached and thousands of Carnival passengers will soon be stepping off their ships onto Punta Langosta pier. This is also good as the pier is downtown, so hopefully economic benefits will flow to the local businesses in the centre - something that didn't happen when Carnival used their own pier several miles south of downtown.

You can see the full story in Spanish here.

Ian

Closed Thread

Tags
cozumel, cruise, cruises, end, langosta, octibet, october, punta, weather