Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2006, 12:19 PM

Just got done replying on a question about the Cozumel pier situation and thought I would let everyone know about our lastest bad news.

We were in Cozumel in October. Docked at the Punta Lungasta pier (or however you spell it).

my wife bough a Tanzinite ring and a pair of earings that closely matched.. both from different stores. We just had them apprasied and both are fake Tanzinite and fake opal.
Luckily my wife really haggled with the salesman and got the prices way down... so we are not out a great deal of money, but had we paid anywhere near the asking price I would be very mad.

The one store where we bought the earings is in that little mall across the street from the pier, 1st floor near the Burger King. DON"T BUY FROM THEM. The store where she got the ring was down the street and I couldn't even begin to give you a description of the location except for its NOT one of the stores the ships recommend.

I'm not surprised that the off the beaten path store ripped us off, but I'm very surprised that the store in the main mall there did because they are easily pointed out like I am doing now.

I guess the moral is DONT BUY JEWELRY from stores not gauranteed by the ships!

Sad thing is that we went into the Goodmark and probably could have gotten real stuff for a little bit more... she just got caught up in the bargaining moment...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 12-15-2006, 02:08 PM

Jim C,
Hate to rain on your parade, but I wouldn't trust the stores that are guaranteed by the ship. That means nothing more than the cruise line is getting a kick back from that store for the recommendation. There have been numerous posts on this board about people getting ripped off from the store, as well as getting no satisfaction from the cruise lines "guarantee". Buyer Beware in ALL cases!
Suzi
Old 12-15-2006, 08:22 PM
I only buy good jewelry from a trusted Jeweler.
If you buy something on holiday make sure you love it no matter if it is real or not.

There are some shops that maybe good to buy from Columbian Emeralds seems to be reputable.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 12-15-2006, 10:32 PM
Just a point on the spelling:
It is Punta Langosta Pier. Langosta is the Spanish word for Lobster.

How about the authenticity on other items of value. Such as items made of Silver? How about something more important, such as the authenticity of the prescription medications they sell in almost every store in downtown Cozumel?
Old 12-16-2006, 02:59 AM

Jim C,

I am sorry to hear about this.

I also was dissapointed this time on Cozumel. Was sent to 5 different places to find a silver chain from different jewelry stores. When I found it I had to bargain them down from $89 to $47. Wal-mart has the same chain for $39.95!

Mine is a bit more heavy, and did not pay tax, But Cozumel is no longer a place for deals on reputable goods IMHO. It was bad, and the prices had tripled.

The store that was more reputable was Viva Mexico. It was downtown 3 blocks from Hard Rock. I don't know which pier that is, but your ship Dream was anchored there that day Oct. 31st.

I found a better deal at the square where Carnival's pier used to be, and they tender to now. Don't know the name, but they have free tequilla shots and is center back from Pancho's Backyard.

I do know I am no longer reccomending Cozumel for silver. As far as shopping the place sucked this time. If I want to shop for jewelry, and bargain a little, I will do it on St. Thomas. At least I know I am getting what I bargained for.

Frase makes a good point, Buyer Beware!

Sorry this happened Jim ! But was good of you to post this to let others know.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:19 AM

Its not just Cozumel that has prices go high lately. We have looked at several big ticket items on cruises and decided not to buy only to find it at the same price or less on-line when we got back home. So much for "duty free" shopping. You may not have to pay tax on it, but there are many on-line stores where that it true too.

I'm not saying the jewelry was crap, its looks very real, but its not what they advertised and over priced for fake stuff.

I just wanted to let people know not to trust the stores. You would think that a store in the mall at the pier would be worried about its image. NOT! Unfortunately for them, I go to Cozumel often enough that they WILL be hearing from me again.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 12-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Hi, since y'all are talking about buying jewelry at port. Can we bargain the price or are we always going to have to pay the price tag? My husband bought a watch at the Little Switzerland store in St. Maarten's port. They wouldn't haggle with us because they're suppsosed to be bought out by Tiffany's. Has anyone shopped there yet? I want to buy my own watch next time but I don't want to buy from an unreliable source. Thanks in advance.
2011 - Navigator of the Seas
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 12-20-2006, 07:58 PM

Jim, when we were in Costa Maya in September, we went in the jewelry stores at the dock (which are all supposedly cruise-ship approved since they are all in that little cruise ship village area). One store (ship approved) had a great bracelet (Austrailian opal/tanzanite with sterling silver bracelet). The first time I went in, the guy told me $450, but for *you*, $395. Hmmm. The second time I walked in, a different guy started at $350. Having lived in Mexico during college, I know about the bargaining thing. As I walked away, the price kept getting lower, until it hit about $225 or so. I didn't buy the bracelet because, quite frankly, it didn't look like it was worth that much.

It wasn't. When we got home, I found a bracelet that was very similar in style to the one in Costa Maya. It is in a small kiosk at one of the malls here. Price? $80.

If I really wanted it, I would buy it here. At least, if it broke, then I would know who would fix it.

I'm so sorry you guys have had bad experiences.

Chris

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Closed Thread

Tags
bought, buying, caribbean, cozumel, dreams, fake, jewelry, mexico, problems, purchase, ring, shopping, silver, sterling, tanzanite